1992 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
would buy 1 million times over.
By cpat93 on 09/08/12 16:24 PM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 940 GL 4dr Sedan

At 226,000 miles this car looks and performs as new. All original parts alternator ,water pump, steering pump, and R12 charged ac system which still works.Paint has faded despite being waxed ever months but sits in sun alot. Interior looks new Leather seats get treated to conditioner so their not cracked like others its age. Had many serious offers to sell but would rather saw off my right hand .I also own a 95 mercedes benz e320 but find myself always driving the volvo, because it has more feature such as lumbar, heated seats, slip diff. Will be trading the e320 for a volvo 960. One of the last true volvos , couldn't pay me to buy a modern one.

Swedish brick
By drjjjj on 12/02/11 10:13 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

The 1992+ model has 25%+ stronger side impact protection ( SIPS) Also, taller gearing than the 93-95, has limited slip rear end, a bullet proof Toyota truck automatic, very comfortable seat, lot's a little safety features like knee bolsters, charged seat belts, light on doors, anti loc/air bag, hydraulic engine that detaches and goes under car, massive roof strength etc! The motors are bullet proof too! Top grade paint job! Weakness: air conditioning marginal, must maintain as spec'd-find a volvo expert! 92 740/940 with AT is 18 & 26mpg which ain't bad! 93-95, 17 & 24-411 rear ends vs 373 in 92! Upscale, well built reliable and was $25K new back then! Best older used rig on market -period!

Black Stallion
By bkook74 on 11/10/07 07:25 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I had this car for 2 years, and so far so good. As long as you are aware of regular maintenance schedule for this car, it will be very good to you (i.e., timing belt every 50k, oil change every 4k, etc.). I've replaced one pair of tires for rear, changed driver side window regulator, passenger side window switch and moonroof switch. I actually need to recharge AC and change AC blower, simply because this is an old car. I think any car over 15 years old need these things changed. As far as driving, this is one of the best I ever had. I can definitely use more power, but I don't drive like a teenager any more, so the car is keeping me in check.

92 944GL SDN
By Ken Nace on 01/16/06 00:23 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 940 GL 4dr Sedan

This is my Eighth Volvo. Bought with 126,000 miles, now has 132,000 miles. I am always pleased with the comfort of Volvos. Just as reliable as a Mercedes, but half the cost to maintain. Plan in keeping this one for many years. Will most definitely own more of them in the future.

940 92
By jonas on 12/02/05 14:25 PM (PST)

1992 Volvo 940 GL 4dr Sedan

this car is as good as they get, there is not a single more reliable car in the world, mine has done 300,000 miles!

Not American built
By Phil W. on 09/02/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Quality and ease of use properly describe the 1992 Volvo 940 Turbo. I bought this car with 126,000 miles. It was in excellent condition and still is. A little bit of care is all that is needed. It's amazing the power of the 4 cylinder turbo. Parts may be a little expensive but the ease of replacement and the longevity of the effected repairs is well worth the price. If this were an american car it would be in the junk yard by now.

I wish I could buy another!
By Timothy on 12/09/04 17:55 PM (PST)

1992 Volvo 940 GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 87,000. I have put into it about 3,800 dollars in almost ten years. It now has 216,000 miles and still runs like the day I got it. I have never missed an oil change or fluid change and have done then at 3,000 miles not the recomended 5,000. parts can be exspensive but look on the internet and get the part you need for 50- 75% off and have you local shop install it.

Classy
By stringbean on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This car is now 12 (almost 13) years old and people still comment on how nice it looks, and are suprised to hear that it is a '92 (they think it is newer). It is white with black trim and although I have retouched about a dozen very small dings in the paint, the overall finish is excellent. I bought this used Volvo in '99, with 86,000 miles, and it now has 140,000 and still runs great. I take it in for regular maintenance, which is costly, but the car has great pickup-and-go when needed and allows me to feel as safe as one can feel in a car.

WHAT AN AWESOME CAR!!!!
By volvo for life... on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 940 GL 4dr Sedan

My dad bought his 940GL used 2 years agoat 114,000 miles. Now it has 140,000. The previous owner took such good care of this car. Since my dad bought it, he's had to replace nothing, not even brake pads.He drives the car 40 miles to work on way everyday and its never left him stranded. The ride is unsurpassed. I own a '90 240DL and this car puts mine to shame.

Pass this one up
By Atlanta,GA on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 940 GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used with 68,000 miles on it. Had to replace the transmission at 100,000 ($5,000). Replaced radiator ($300) at 120,000 miles. Two power window motors broke, had to replace water pump, occasionally had electrical problems. Wears through brake rotors quickly. At 185,000 miles transmission went out again. Leaks oil, Air Conditioner went out at 130,000 miles.