Used 1991 Volvo 940 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

940SE Wagon
By CGF

1991 Volvo 940 Wagon SE Turbo 4dr Wagon

Was bought in 1998 as a salvage car. Been hit from the side, but was undamaged otherwise; Volvo repairman restored it and sold it at a great price. As it's gotten older there've been more repairs, mostly for things that have worn out. Air conditioning and tape deck no longer work and there are problems with the door-locking system. On the other hand, the int/ext still look great and it's a very solid car with 147K miles on it, and no sign of turbo problems. With regard to the turbo, we've been religious about running the engine for a bit after parking,& have serviced it regularly. Plan to keep it until it dies--repair is still less expensive than new.

Favorite Features

Tight turning circle; good paint job; good speed on inclines; very comfortable car for longer drives.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders! It's strange there are none on a car of this age. Tires could last longer-- I've been told the sway of a car of this design causes greater wear. Get rid of plasic-type radiator? Replcmnt of this was suggested as soon as I bought car to avoid sudden failure & exp. repair.

1991 945 Turbo Wagon
By Todd Kijowski

1991 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car used knowing I was paying very little because It was in need of an engine but being a mechanic of Volvo's I saw potential in the car and now I have ONE of the coolest looking wagons that I have seen being so old. Took it to a Volvo show and took BEST in show took it to the dragstrip and it got noticed when it ran the 1/4 in 15.5 @ 89 mph not bad for a grocery getter. Although I do not feel the suspension and brakes are as good as my other Volvo 83 244 T but overal it is a good car.

Favorite Features

ITZ A WAGON doesn't get noticed by police when you are slightly speeding.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension and brakes.

Sorry to see it go
By EAL

1991 Volvo 940 Wagon SE Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this car 5.5 years ago - I have been rear-ended at least 3 times with NO damage to the car - bumpers are indestructable. Body is wearing great. I'm trading up ONLY because it is rear wheel drive. If I lived in a sunny clime I'd keep it! It has more space with the seats down than a Jeep. All around great car.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, heated seats, tight turning circle.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders