Used 1991 Volvo 940 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

worst car I've ever owned - been driving for over 45 years
By jdmwmd

1991 Volvo 940 Wagon GLE 4dr Wagon

there's not enough room here for a complete list of the problems - but here goes: all features made from plastic are now non-functional-including switches,control devices,safety devices,performance devices,electronics,door-pannel fasteners broken everywhere,shifter,switches such as door windows, ignition,sensors on the engine,bushings on the transmission shifter etc. The brake rotors so rusted into place so badly that one broke just removing it(and this car has seen very little salt if any) VERY POOR HANDLING-DANGEROUS - no fun to drive-hard to park! Radio works but of the six speakers-one works. plastic cracked everywhere! Seat-belt buckles broken, heated seats shrunk the leather-then quit

A good looking wagon but previous owner hated it so much she sold a rust-free, dent free-never in an accident (but poorly idling) delux model for only $350 (which was about 300 too much) No one in their right mind would steal one so I can leave the keys in it. Auto-trans already rebuilt (at 78K miles) Heater is the one thing that really works good-but its summer in a few weeks so I sure wish the sun roof would open as that's a nice thing to have. And you have to say: at least its better than a Dodge ! (I used to own one) Interesting, feels like you're going too fast at any speed, so I'll never get a speeding ticket as long as I drive it.

drop off a very high cliff - insure first. Don't forget to set it on fire before you push it over --- and film it! at least you get some of your money back.

940SE Wagon
By CGF

1991 Volvo 940 Wagon SE Turbo 4dr Wagon

Was bought in 1998 as a salvage car. Been hit from the side, but was undamaged otherwise; Volvo repairman restored it and sold it at a great price. As it's gotten older there've been more repairs, mostly for things that have worn out. Air conditioning and tape deck no longer work and there are problems with the door-locking system. On the other hand, the int/ext still look great and it's a very solid car with 147K miles on it, and no sign of turbo problems. With regard to the turbo, we've been religious about running the engine for a bit after parking,& have serviced it regularly. Plan to keep it until it dies--repair is still less expensive than new.

Tight turning circle; good paint job; good speed on inclines; very comfortable car for longer drives.

Cup holders! It's strange there are none on a car of this age. Tires could last longer-- I've been told the sway of a car of this design causes greater wear. Get rid of plasic-type radiator? Replcmnt of this was suggested as soon as I bought car to avoid sudden failure & exp. repair.

1991 945 Turbo Wagon
By Todd Kijowski

1991 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car used knowing I was paying very little because It was in need of an engine but being a mechanic of Volvo's I saw potential in the car and now I have ONE of the coolest looking wagons that I have seen being so old. Took it to a Volvo show and took BEST in show took it to the dragstrip and it got noticed when it ran the 1/4 in 15.5 @ 89 mph not bad for a grocery getter. Although I do not feel the suspension and brakes are as good as my other Volvo 83 244 T but overal it is a good car.

ITZ A WAGON doesn't get noticed by police when you are slightly speeding.

Suspension and brakes.

Sorry to see it go
By EAL

1991 Volvo 940 Wagon SE Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this car 5.5 years ago - I have been rear-ended at least 3 times with NO damage to the car - bumpers are indestructable. Body is wearing great. I'm trading up ONLY because it is rear wheel drive. If I lived in a sunny clime I'd keep it! It has more space with the seats down than a Jeep. All around great car.

Sun roof, heated seats, tight turning circle.

cup holders