1991 Volvo 940 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
Classic car but has flaws
By tony89 on 06/23/09 18:43 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

We bought a '91 940 Turbo from a family friend who took very well of his cars, and we continued the regular maintenance. It is a heavy car, which is safe but hard on gas and acceleration. It was disaster to drive when gas was $4+ a gallon. Currently there are a lot of things wrong: interior roof covering is falling apart, the odometer stopped working at 160k, the turbo is stuck on, etc. And I've been stranded 3 times in the past few months from a range of engine problems. Now the engine dies at 50+mph, apparently from a blown converter. I am selling it because it is no longer worth the money put into it. These issues are a shame, because I love the look and design of this early 90s Volvo.

Volvo 940 SE
By David Milne on 09/23/05 19:09 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

The 940 has always been a joy to drive. It holds the road extremely well. It has a great deal of power both for acceleration. It has a large passenger cabinet very well appointed. The trunk is very large and the standard Volvo trunk to passenger cabin has been extremely useful many times for transporting sailing booms, skis, lumber and other long stuff!

Great car for low price
By ND4SPDR on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my first car but not the only one I drive on a regular basis. The turning circle is awesome and the car starts every time. Engine is okay once the turbo spools, but fairly weak before that. Interior is comfortable but needs cup holders. While the car isn't what one might refer to as beautfiul, it doesn't look bad and keeps you from getting noticed. Handling is decent with a bit more body roll than I'd like, but it's 13 years old already. Understeer is controllable and the limited slip rear diff is really useful. Few mechanical issues even with 170k miles.

Would not buy another
By jimmygee1245 on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

Had a lot of mechanical problems.

1991 Volvo 940SE
By vinman on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

Great second car and extremely reliable vehicle overall. Very handsome styling and the SE version is very well built with self leveling rear shock absorbers. Its a great daily driver and I would recommend one highly for anyone looking to get a family sedan. Power is good but not great, however once at highway speed its a great cruiser and accelerates well.

GREAT car - very reliable
By Eric TG on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This was (and is) our first Volvo purchase. we bought it used at 60,000 miles. Were worried about turbo going out at 120K, etc. We are now at 169,000 miles with almost NO problems. (the power antenna broke and the brakes need frequent replacing because of weight of car). But otherwise, incredibly reliable, comfortable. We are due for an upgrade but just can't seem to say goodbye to such a great car.

Too bad no more RWD Volvos
By CA Gold Coast on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new and it has been excellent. Plenty of room for 5 adults for long trips. Handling is typical Volvo which means the car will go where you point it and stop when needed. We have used Mobil 1 since new, so the turbo should last. Present mileage is 115K. I do much of the work and oil changes are the easiest of any car I have ever owned. Volvo 4s are easily accessable. Interesting replacements and repairs: Sunroof stuck open ($68 at the dealer) Power stering pump Rear springs Rotors lasted about 100K. Recommend switching to 225/50/16 tires. They are cheaper than what comes on the car and give a better contact patch.

Great Comfort, Reliability, Safety
By bons on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is a well-built car. Providing great comfort, excellent reliability, and legendary safety, what Volvo are known for. I'm very impressed with the roominess and driver's visibility of the road inside the Volvo. Its turning circle is extremely small. The car is running at 190,000 miles with absolutely no sign of any mechanical problems. And my wife admitted that it has a smoother ride than her 1999 Camry at 40,000 miles

A classy, comfortable car!
By Michael Ray on 04/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 940 Sedan SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had several Volvo vehicles, all WAGONS. This is the first sedan I've owned, and was pleasantly suprised. The wagons handled very predictably, and I did not expect that from a sedan. I am impressed with the vehicle. I bought it w/ 108K on it; I expect to run it at least another 100K before I replace it. The turbo motor has been further refined, and the vehicle shamelessly is heads above the newer 850 series, in performance, comfort, and mileage. The newer 850series have a definite Audi-ish flavor, but the 940 series retains the Volvo image and feel that the manufacturer is well known for. I prefer it to the 850's. Better pickup; response and style.