Used 1991 Volvo 940 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volvo 940 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Classic car but has flaws
By tony89

1991 Volvo 940 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

We bought a '91 940 Turbo from a family friend who took very well of his cars, and we continued the regular maintenance. It is a heavy car, which is safe but hard on gas and acceleration. It was disaster to drive when gas was $4+ a gallon. Currently there are a lot of things wrong: interior roof covering is falling apart, the odometer stopped working at 160k, the turbo is stuck on, etc. And I've been stranded 3 times in the past few months from a range of engine problems. Now the engine dies at 50+mph, apparently from a blown converter. I am selling it because it is no longer worth the money put into it. These issues are a shame, because I love the look and design of this early 90s Volvo.

Favorite Features

Classic and simple design. Heavy, safe feel.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. This model does not seem to live up to the Volvo brand or the 200k+ driving life.

Volvo 940 SE
By David Milne

1991 Volvo 940 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

The 940 has always been a joy to drive. It holds the road extremely well. It has a great deal of power both for acceleration. It has a large passenger cabinet very well appointed. The trunk is very large and the standard Volvo trunk to passenger cabin has been extremely useful many times for transporting sailing booms, skis, lumber and other long stuff!

Suggested Improvements

Rear suspension system is comfortable but not dependable in the long run. The rear end sags after six or seven years.

Great car for low price
By ND4SPDR

1991 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is my first car but not the only one I drive on a regular basis. The turning circle is awesome and the car starts every time. Engine is okay once the turbo spools, but fairly weak before that. Interior is comfortable but needs cup holders. While the car isn't what one might refer to as beautfiul, it doesn't look bad and keeps you from getting noticed. Handling is decent with a bit more body roll than I'd like, but it's 13 years old already. Understeer is controllable and the limited slip rear diff is really useful. Few mechanical issues even with 170k miles.

Favorite Features

Turbo, turning circle, seats, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, bigger turbo or engine, better gas mileage.

940SE Wagon
By CGF

1991 Volvo 940 SE Turbo 4dr Wagon

Was bought in 1998 as a salvage car. Been hit from the side, but was undamaged otherwise; Volvo repairman restored it and sold it at a great price. As it's gotten older there've been more repairs, mostly for things that have worn out. Air conditioning and tape deck no longer work and there are problems with the door-locking system. On the other hand, the int/ext still look great and it's a very solid car with 147K miles on it, and no sign of turbo problems. With regard to the turbo, we've been religious about running the engine for a bit after parking,& have serviced it regularly. Plan to keep it until it dies--repair is still less expensive than new.

Favorite Features

Tight turning circle; good paint job; good speed on inclines; very comfortable car for longer drives.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders! It's strange there are none on a car of this age. Tires could last longer-- I've been told the sway of a car of this design causes greater wear. Get rid of plasic-type radiator? Replcmnt of this was suggested as soon as I bought car to avoid sudden failure & exp. repair.

1991 945 Turbo Wagon
By Todd Kijowski

1991 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car used knowing I was paying very little because It was in need of an engine but being a mechanic of Volvo's I saw potential in the car and now I have ONE of the coolest looking wagons that I have seen being so old. Took it to a Volvo show and took BEST in show took it to the dragstrip and it got noticed when it ran the 1/4 in 15.5 @ 89 mph not bad for a grocery getter. Although I do not feel the suspension and brakes are as good as my other Volvo 83 244 T but overal it is a good car.

Favorite Features

ITZ A WAGON doesn't get noticed by police when you are slightly speeding.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension and brakes.