1997 Volvo 850 Consumer Review: Little Things that Kill?

1997 Volvo 850 - Consumer Review

1997 Volvo 850

Base Sedan (2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Little Things that Kill?
By Brian on

1997 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

2 years ago this July, I traded this car, a '97 850 with 82K, for a no hassle '98 F150, as we added another child to the nest. I have to say, overall, I love the car. I wish it had a sunroof and the sporty rims, that's it. I love the base acceleration and sport mode, and the handling. What I don't like is the little things that have now added up to almost $3K, 2 yrs later with 104K. Yes, this car was exposed to salt air for 2 years, we towed a small 15ft boat under 2K pounds, and yes we commute to and drive in Philadelphia. I now have a sluggish trans, torque mount, struts and strut bushing probs, possibly shocks, had brake problems, re- occuring belt problems, axle boots$, and electrical.

I love the car, styling, heat and heated seats, performance, trans, handling, and the great sound system.

More reliable, like the old volvos of before(240,740, etc), new cupholders, new cruise control-controls, HD electrical system and thicker brake pads. Can Anyone shed light on me for this review? My alternative is a used Toyota Avalon, but I'd truly like to keep this car. ??

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review