1997 Volvo 850 2.3L 5-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - 850R raises some questions

1997 Volvo 850 R - Consumer Review

1997 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon

850R raises some questions
By Dalmatian Wagon on

1997 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon

Why buy a Volvo? My reasons was space, performance, and a raise at work. This wagon zooms to 60mph in 7.0 seconds with 240hp and 220 ft. lbs of torque @ a low 2000 rpm. Love the Turbo! It’s a solid performer, but not as smooth as I had hoped. Steering feel, cornering feel, and brake feel just don’t feel as solid and confidence inspiring as I had hoped. The power band, however, keeps me coming back for more every day. Timing belt was just changed so time will tell how this hellion holds up. If you see a white wagon on your tail, you may want to move to the right…

Favorite Features

240 hp / 220 ft-lbs of torque, The seats are very comfortable, the 240 watt sound system is crystal clear!

Suggested Improvements

Improved steering feel (not anywhere near laser-sharp), Improved brake-feel (brakes work fabulously but don't inspire confidence), alot of general vibration during travel (alignment, balance, brakes, and shocks all checked)...not a BMW (but didn't pay like one either).