1997 Volvo 850 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Will always own a VOLVO!
By jyoung on 06/20/06 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love this car, Volvo 850 turbo! I am in the process of replacing it with a newer volvo S80. However, I wish the new ones had the old shape. I like seeing a vehicle and knowing instantly what it is. They all look alike now, it is ashame. Back to why I love volvo cars, I feel so safe in this car. It is a heavy car, never hydroplaned in this car, which means a ton to me. The air conditioning is wonderful. My car is cold, on even the hottest days, very quickly. It has great pick up, too.

Superb ride, but watch out for repair$$
By brickmeister on 12/02/05 21:15 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Recently wrecked it with 121k. Survived without a scratch, airbags never deployed. Safety is #1; integrated roll bar, side impact air bags. Performance wise, 5 cylinder can smoke any non-Volvo 6 cyl. turbo. Hard to believe they make this with a turbo. It has a supple ride, even on bad roads.I once took it thru an S curve at 50 mph, and just noticed a barely perceptible body lean. Yokahama tires are recommended! great in snow. Now the problems I had:AC evaporator went out around 100k,rear main seal leaked at 105k, Antilock breaks and traction control went out around 80k (still brakes like a car without ABS). Repairs are expensive, but the eng. and trans. flawless. I will buy another!

Love the car, wish it was more reliable
By roxydog on 04/15/05 01:32 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought with 60K miles almost 3 years ago as a replacement for another 850 totaled in a very bad, single car accident (flipped after hitting a tree) where I walked away without even a bruise (no one else in the car with me). Now just over 172K. Average 25-28 mpg in mixed driving (75% hwy).I would absolutely buy another Volvo but for the maintenance. I have not had some of the most common problems (rear main seal oil leak, AC cond, ABS/TRACS unit), I have had plenty of problems that cost too much: rotors, O2 sensors, tie rods, ball joints, air pump...will probably replace w/ Accord, even though the Volvo is just a lot of fun (when its working). see brickboard.com for common problems/solutions.

Little Things that Kill?
By Brian on 04/06/05 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

2 years ago this July, I traded this car, a '97 850 with 82K, for a no hassle '98 F150, as we added another child to the nest. I have to say, overall, I love the car. I wish it had a sunroof and the sporty rims, that's it. I love the base acceleration and sport mode, and the handling. What I don't like is the little things that have now added up to almost $3K, 2 yrs later with 104K. Yes, this car was exposed to salt air for 2 years, we towed a small 15ft boat under 2K pounds, and yes we commute to and drive in Philadelphia. I now have a sluggish trans, torque mount, struts and strut bushing probs, possibly shocks, had brake problems, re- occuring belt problems, axle boots$, and electrical.

Happy with the 850
By Happy Owner on 02/16/05 16:23 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My 850 T5 has been great for five years now. MPG on the highway remains constant at about 30, (70 to 70 mph). Repairs to date: fuel pump at 175,000; timing belt tensioner at 221,000. Oil leaks are beginning to appear and the ABS waring light is starting to come on from time to time. I probably won't have these problems fixed....at 222,000 miles I can't justify spending more $$ on the car. (And yes, Volvo owners, I too have bought dozens of light bulbs for this Volvo over the years.) This was my third Volvo and I'm looking for my fourth one now. A great car oveall.

Great Car!
By abbyc85 on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My family has had this car for 7 years now and it has had barely any problems! It has been so incredibly reliable. Even though volvos are more expensive to fix, this one I found had less problems to fix. The biggest problem we experienced was the bushings had be replaced, but that's what you get when you're a crazy teenage driver! I ran into so many freaking things and it is still as sturdy as a rock!

I won't consider anything but Volvo
By aod831 on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Traded in a 740 with 170,000 for an 850 with 58,000. I had the rear seal oil leak problem, but once that was fixed, this car has been a dream. I now have 130,000 miles and it runs just as smooth as the day I got it. I'm turning it over to our newly licensed teenage daughter and getting a used S70 (which by the way, is what my husband drives). I strongly recommend the scheduled 5,000 maintenance. Our local dealers service dept is simply the best. We couldn't ask for better!

my last volvo
By brute on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i loved my 740, drove it till 165,000 miles and still ran great. thought i was upgrading w/the 850. there is always something breaking. spent $1200 on ac leak (that volvo should have fixed at their cost, since the repair is due to a design defect), the anti lock breaks are out ($800), can't get tires to last more than 25000 miles, trim falling off the outside. it is fun to drive when it runs right.

Disappointed
By jhardie on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has had a steady stream of minor and moderate problems: repairing the AC was the biggest expense, but also several minor electrical problems and lots of poor fit/quality issues. I've lost the motor on the antennae and the gas cap...very annoying. Radio reption is terrible...my Volvo dealer tells me "everyone knows Volvo radios don't work well." Lots of rattles/noises. Moon Roof fits poorly. Also, in terms of handlng, the car feels heavy to me. Accelerates fine, but not very good control in turns. I expected Volvo to have excellent attention to detail, but don't feel that way now.

kenelf Volvo 850 reviews
By kenelf on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

While the 850 is a solid vehicle, there are many unique, sometimes annoying characteristics to the car. For example, may of the intererior gauges and controls are found in illogical places. Why would you put the rear window defogger button next to the moon roof button? This placement resulted in 4" of snow coming in the vehicle's moon roof at the slip of a finger! Moreover, the 'check engine' light has come on several times for no real reason other than to get us into a repair shop (the only way to get it reset!) Even though we enjoy the car and love its safety features, these types of aggrevations will keep us from ever again buying a Volvo product.