1997 Volvo 850 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Great drive; nightmare A/C
By Cat on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Got a great deal on this used car -- below Blue Book -- and it has definitely been worth the money. Has always driven great for me; very comfortable (long as you're sitting in the front seat); great power. But I have spent far too much in recent years on what apparently is an unfixable freon leak; a black car w/o AC is unendurable in Florida summers, & the problem is getting worse. Other problems piling up now: elusive, stubborn oil leak has also cost money for several years, hinge on front passenger door broke; cupholder broke, sunroof broke; outside trim coming off; electrical short stops dash lights/turning signal from working. Odometer broke last year at 123K; time to trade this one in.

Great Car
By nuffsaid1 on 08/08/09 11:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car for 12 years and it has been fun to drive gets good gas mileage and is very fast. The seats are fantastic and the stereo is very good. I have had one incident and that is the ABS light comes on. The first time it happened was in the first year of ownership and no cost to me (dealer cost $1000). It occurred again this year and I found a guy on the internet who fixed it for $50. I love this car. Find a good Volvo mechanic and save yourself a lot of money

Fun wagon.
By Nick on 05/02/07 21:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the 1997 Volvo 850 T5 for a winter car and daily driver. It has done a great job for both. Very peppy and it hasn't asked for much back. Problems that I have had. 1. required a new pcv system ~ $200 2. rear hatch inner panel sags, even after new clips and repair kit ~$30. 3. left front wheel bearing went out ~$100. 4. rear license plate bracket ~$20. Otherwise this is a great car and has not given me any troubles.

Nice car
By Jillibean on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Just purchased my new wagon to replace my 245 Turbo with 186000. Nice car, love the luxury. Wish every window had controls. I researched the vehicle before I purchased and knew that the evaporator and the rear engine seal had already been replaced. Gas leaking from the bushings near the heat shield but volvo will replace as a safety recall. It's got 81000 miles and I purchased it for $5900 including tax. I'm happy. The broker didn't know what he had!

Fast roomy wagon but lots of problems
By dna on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

The Volvo wagon is unique. Lots of power and room but lots of mechanical problems too. It has cost $4500 in repairs to keep it going 75,000 miles so far and that does not include the $1200 quoted for replacing the AC evaporator. I might sell the car if I can't find a better price for the AC repair.

Still a Great Car After 7 years & 90k mi
By Happy Volvo Owner on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought a 1997 850 T-5 wagon in Sept. of 1996. The car looks and drives no different now, then the day we drove it home. It is easy and fun to drive; the Sport mode on the transmission is awesome. Traction Control and snow tires make it grate in the snow. The cup holders are too small and too delicte. The power window controls are unreachable when cup holders are out. The 850 is very versitile; lots of cargo room, seats fold down easily, roof rails are handy. The dash is easy to use, the stereo and dual climate control are awesome. I will be buying many more Volvos.

Would Never Buy Another Volvo
By Colton on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I think this is a terrific car (when it works). I had probably $10,000 worth of repairs when under warranty: rear engine seals, A/C evaporator, shutter motors for the climate control, and on and on. Things fixed at the dealer don't stay fixed. I have had to contact Volvo of America to get things fixed. One thing after another goes wrong.

Red@HotWagon
By John_pl on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Grat car to drive.

Balanced engineering, comfort, & safety
By jlinder1 on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

There are cars that are faster, more luxurious, and more reliable. But considering everything you get, the Volvo 850 GLT is one of the best cars you can buy. The turbo makes this dependably fast enough to merge and avoid. The steering is crisp, ABS brakes powerful & effective. The interior appointments are superb. And with careful maintenance you avoid the big repair bills. Watch out for potholes (alignment) and check brake pads often.

Lots of trouble
By Walrus on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

The quality of this vehicle has been extraordinarly low. Lightbulbs go out constantly. The headlight switch went at 18,000 miles. The exterior side trim on both sides has become loose and munched by door opening three times now. The tensioner on the main engine belt has been a major problem - during wet weather, the alternator spins down and we lose power steering! We bought this car for it's reputation of being safe and reliable - it has been a nightmare. We'll never buy another volvo.