Used 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Great drive; nightmare A/C
By Cat

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Got a great deal on this used car -- below Blue Book -- and it has definitely been worth the money. Has always driven great for me; very comfortable (long as you're sitting in the front seat); great power. But I have spent far too much in recent years on what apparently is an unfixable freon leak; a black car w/o AC is unendurable in Florida summers, & the problem is getting worse. Other problems piling up now: elusive, stubborn oil leak has also cost money for several years, hinge on front passenger door broke; cupholder broke, sunroof broke; outside trim coming off; electrical short stops dash lights/turning signal from working. Odometer broke last year at 123K; time to trade this one in.

engine power, front passenger creature comfort, rain/snow traction

I love Volvo, but am considering switching to another brand now that I live in Florida. The A/C problems are just unacceptable, and the mechanics tell me they are commonplace for this European brand. Volvo really needs to get a handle on climate control for US climates; this ain't Sweden, guys.

Great Car
By nuffsaid1

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car for 12 years and it has been fun to drive gets good gas mileage and is very fast. The seats are fantastic and the stereo is very good. I have had one incident and that is the ABS light comes on. The first time it happened was in the first year of ownership and no cost to me (dealer cost $1000). It occurred again this year and I found a guy on the internet who fixed it for $50. I love this car. Find a good Volvo mechanic and save yourself a lot of money

The seats and the turbo. Paint still looks like new..I use Zaino Bros products. If well maintained will last forever.

Cup-holders could be better. Ergonomics take some getting use to but you will adapt.

Fun wagon.
By Nick

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the 1997 Volvo 850 T5 for a winter car and daily driver. It has done a great job for both. Very peppy and it hasn't asked for much back. Problems that I have had. 1. required a new pcv system ~ $200 2. rear hatch inner panel sags, even after new clips and repair kit ~$30. 3. left front wheel bearing went out ~$100. 4. rear license plate bracket ~$20. Otherwise this is a great car and has not given me any troubles.

Very quick, comfortable, versatile, safe, and great in all conditions.

The car likes to squeak and rattle over the horrible roads in Michigan. On decent roads it rides perfect for a ten year old car with 150,000 miles.

Nice car
By Jillibean

1997 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Just purchased my new wagon to replace
my 245 Turbo with 186000. Nice car,
love the luxury. Wish every window had
controls. I researched the vehicle
before I purchased and knew that the
evaporator and the rear engine seal had
already been replaced. Gas leaking from
the bushings near the heat shield but
volvo will replace as a safety recall.
It's got 81000 miles and I purchased it
for $5900 including tax. I'm happy.
The broker didn't know what he had!

Leather seats, moonroof, coffee holder. Jumping from 1985 to 1997 causes me to appreciate this automobile like no other.

Volvo should replace the evaporator and the rear engine seal -- they all go bad. Put controls on all the windows that can be locked from the front (like 1985)

Fast roomy wagon but lots of problems
By dna

The Volvo wagon is unique. Lots of power
and room but lots of mechanical problems
too. It has cost $4500 in repairs to
keep it going 75,000 miles so far and
that does not include the $1200 quoted
for replacing the AC evaporator. I might
sell the car if I can't find a better
price for the AC repair.

Power and room

Poorly built and prone to mechanical failure.