1997 Volvo 850 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Good Used Car Value
By robkn on 10/12/11 05:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Just bought a '97 base with automatic - has 124k miles. Rides like a limo - best front seats I have ever seen. Getting 25 mpg in mixed driving. Find one that has been maintained and you can keep it forever. You may spend some repair money every year, but it is cheaper than a car payment.

Nice family car
By Crossbol on 04/02/07 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was my mother-in-law's car before she decided to give it to us as our wedding present. I spent some time fixing it and doing maintenance on it before we got it (she never did much to it, just drive it). After we got it, not many things went bad. Just regular things like CV boots ($55 for the entire axle), lower ball joint boots (still did not replace them), ABS module ($100 to rebuild it), alternator ($90 or so), odometer ($8 for the gear). I know that the evaporator core for A/C will go bad at some point, it is really common. The main thing is that I feel really good about my wife driving it with the kids, I know they are safe in it. Make it cheap, find parts online, you will save money.

Good older used car
By Doug on 02/09/07 07:38 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought used with 100,000 miles. Things to watch for that we learned; The battery had been replaced because the car had been sitting for 6 months. This cleared the OBD-II. Have the seller get the emissions!!! You have to go through a crazy "drive cycle" to get the OBD out of a "Not Ready" with emissions folks. Beware of rear transfer seal going out around 100,000 as well. Evident by oil drips or oil on bottom back of engine. $800 repair!!! Great driving car though. Bought for safety features.

Superb ride, but watch out for repair$$
By brickmeister on 12/02/05 21:15 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Recently wrecked it with 121k. Survived without a scratch, airbags never deployed. Safety is #1; integrated roll bar, side impact air bags. Performance wise, 5 cylinder can smoke any non-Volvo 6 cyl. turbo. Hard to believe they make this with a turbo. It has a supple ride, even on bad roads.I once took it thru an S curve at 50 mph, and just noticed a barely perceptible body lean. Yokahama tires are recommended! great in snow. Now the problems I had:AC evaporator went out around 100k,rear main seal leaked at 105k, Antilock breaks and traction control went out around 80k (still brakes like a car without ABS). Repairs are expensive, but the eng. and trans. flawless. I will buy another!

Little Things that Kill?
By Brian on 04/06/05 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

2 years ago this July, I traded this car, a '97 850 with 82K, for a no hassle '98 F150, as we added another child to the nest. I have to say, overall, I love the car. I wish it had a sunroof and the sporty rims, that's it. I love the base acceleration and sport mode, and the handling. What I don't like is the little things that have now added up to almost $3K, 2 yrs later with 104K. Yes, this car was exposed to salt air for 2 years, we towed a small 15ft boat under 2K pounds, and yes we commute to and drive in Philadelphia. I now have a sluggish trans, torque mount, struts and strut bushing probs, possibly shocks, had brake problems, re- occuring belt problems, axle boots$, and electrical.

Great Car!
By abbyc85 on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My family has had this car for 7 years now and it has had barely any problems! It has been so incredibly reliable. Even though volvos are more expensive to fix, this one I found had less problems to fix. The biggest problem we experienced was the bushings had be replaced, but that's what you get when you're a crazy teenage driver! I ran into so many freaking things and it is still as sturdy as a rock!

my last volvo
By brute on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i loved my 740, drove it till 165,000 miles and still ran great. thought i was upgrading w/the 850. there is always something breaking. spent $1200 on ac leak (that volvo should have fixed at their cost, since the repair is due to a design defect), the anti lock breaks are out ($800), can't get tires to last more than 25000 miles, trim falling off the outside. it is fun to drive when it runs right.

kenelf Volvo 850 reviews
By kenelf on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

While the 850 is a solid vehicle, there are many unique, sometimes annoying characteristics to the car. For example, may of the intererior gauges and controls are found in illogical places. Why would you put the rear window defogger button next to the moon roof button? This placement resulted in 4" of snow coming in the vehicle's moon roof at the slip of a finger! Moreover, the 'check engine' light has come on several times for no real reason other than to get us into a repair shop (the only way to get it reset!) Even though we enjoy the car and love its safety features, these types of aggrevations will keep us from ever again buying a Volvo product.

transmission problems
By dpmgb66 on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned two 240's since 1984. Bought this car Feb. 02 with 97,000 miles. I've put 3000 miles on it. Been in the shop twice already. First, the engine check light went on. Emmission control sensor neede replacing. Now, flashing orange arrow & engine check light on. Back to the shop. Mechanic tells me I need a new transmission at a cost of 3,200. I put over 225,000 mi. on my 240's with no problems. This 850 is the worst. I'll NEVER buy a Volvo again. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I'm back in the shop again!

The Green Hornet
By medorin on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was surprised by its performance when I first drove it. Very responsive in traffic, quick and easy to maneuver. I like the turning radius. It has a somewhat odd layout on the dash but I quickly got used to it. Traveled through the California desert and into the Sierras with the outside temp of about 100F, five people in the car and no problem. Never slowed down when climbing.