1997 Volvo 850 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
The Best Volvo
By baristablaine on 06/12/13 11:13 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This Volvo 850 has been the best car I have ever owned. I currently Have 315,000 miles on it.

Good Used Car Value
By robkn on 10/12/11 05:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Just bought a '97 base with automatic - has 124k miles. Rides like a limo - best front seats I have ever seen. Getting 25 mpg in mixed driving. Find one that has been maintained and you can keep it forever. You may spend some repair money every year, but it is cheaper than a car payment.

Still purrs like a kitten @ 208,500 miles!
By volvoinme on 07/23/11 14:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever purchased! Considering it had 160,000 on it when I bought it. It runs great, gets decent gas mileage and has only died on me once because the fuel pump quit! (Was the original) All I have to say is volvo might be an expensive car to buy, but like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I will buy another volvo, as this one is not my last!

Best Value
By george on 08/02/10 00:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought it last year (second owner), and couldn't be happier. Very solid, powerful, reliable, and smooth. Very fun to drive. I feel very safe in it, and therefore feel comfortable with my kids driving it. I've had to replace the alternator, that's all, but I have 175,000 miles on it, so what do you expect? Despite the mileage, it still runs very smooth, I imagine as smooth as when it was new. I love driving this car! I would definitely consider another Volvo on my next purchase. The only other fix was the gas cap cover, it no longer locks, but it's very minor and have yet to fix it.

proud to own
By hadabetterfind on 06/16/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My 1997 850 T5 has been a reliable and fun drive, providing good power and handling. Heading past 200K miles, it has had no extreme engine problems and has performed beyond my expectations. The 5 cylinder provides adequate power and a reliable 25 mpg, glad I found it.

Beware of hidden problems
By Volvobum on 01/25/09 11:22 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought a Volvo that looked clean in terms of cosmetics - body, seats, etc but let the dealer talk me out of getting an independent inspection. Bad mistake. Heater core was later found to be leaking inside the car, radiator had small leak and after a few miles water hose to cool turbo split open. $1,200 later I learned my lesson. Labor is expensive on these cars and parts are too. Pay the $75 bucks for an inspection and be prepared to walk away from your dream car.

Nearly 12 yrs old, and still pretty nice
By Matt on 08/29/08 23:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Nice car for casual driving. Turbo gives some oomph, but responds better to steady application of throttle than stomping on pedal. Decent torque at low RPM makes it adept at city driving - even in hills. Nice leather interior, except for odd control layout. Has held up well, over time. No major problems with rattles, except sometimes from sunroof. Handling is not great. In spite of repair shop insisting suspension components were in good shape, I found cornering far worse than newer, sporty European sedans (including newer Volvos). Interestingly, car isn't as heavy as you'd think. Bought in 2000 w/ 50k miles. Now, at 185k, still surprisingly nice. But then I stayed up-to-date on service!

Love It but Hate Repair Costs
By raleighvolvo on 07/11/07 13:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. This is the car of choice to drive for all members of my family. It is great on long trips and carries a ton of luggage. Good fuel economy. Comfortable and safe. I would love another just like it but with fewer expensive repair bills. The standard bill is around $700 and have had a couple of $1200 ones. The A/C bit me for $1200. Struts are a weakpoint in this car. Cooling system was a source of a lot of repairs. Still, even with 153k+ miles on it, I hate to give it up. Have to pick it up at repair shop with $1200 of brakes, struts, timing belt, etc, for this year's (I hope) maint.

Nice family car
By Crossbol on 04/02/07 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was my mother-in-law's car before she decided to give it to us as our wedding present. I spent some time fixing it and doing maintenance on it before we got it (she never did much to it, just drive it). After we got it, not many things went bad. Just regular things like CV boots ($55 for the entire axle), lower ball joint boots (still did not replace them), ABS module ($100 to rebuild it), alternator ($90 or so), odometer ($8 for the gear). I know that the evaporator core for A/C will go bad at some point, it is really common. The main thing is that I feel really good about my wife driving it with the kids, I know they are safe in it. Make it cheap, find parts online, you will save money.

Good older used car
By Doug on 02/09/07 07:38 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought used with 100,000 miles. Things to watch for that we learned; The battery had been replaced because the car had been sitting for 6 months. This cleared the OBD-II. Have the seller get the emissions!!! You have to go through a crazy "drive cycle" to get the OBD out of a "Not Ready" with emissions folks. Beware of rear transfer seal going out around 100,000 as well. Evident by oil drips or oil on bottom back of engine. $800 repair!!! Great driving car though. Bought for safety features.

1 2 3 4 5 next »