1997 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Happiness is volvo
By SIRO on 01/27/06 20:40 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon

Ive owned 2 850 sedans and this is my first turbo wagon. It's been nothing but fun to drive.

Unreliable, maintenance headache
By SB on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon

Unless you or a friend are certified Volvo mechanics - STAY AWAY from these cars. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car - but only when it was behaving properly. I have been eaten alive with repairs and excessive maintenance. For what was originally a $40,000 car, this is the biggest rip off I have ever had the displeasure of owning.

Great value when purchased used.
By Michael Kamentsev on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon

Love the shape of my 850R wagon. Still contemporary interior. Very spacious. Purchased for $11,000 with 85,000 miles in bad condition. Invested $1000 to change all fluids, battery, brakes and tubro seals and hoses. Running like a bueauty for a year- no problems. I also have 88 Volvo 240 with 180,000 and expect to put 300,000 miles on it :) This is not a joke - just go to a junk yard to see 240s with over 300,000 miles on them. Welcome to Volvo family :)

850R raises some questions
By Dalmatian Wagon on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon

Why buy a Volvo? My reasons was space, performance, and a raise at work. This wagon zooms to 60mph in 7.0 seconds with 240hp and 220 ft. lbs of torque @ a low 2000 rpm. Love the Turbo! It’s a solid performer, but not as smooth as I had hoped. Steering feel, cornering feel, and brake feel just don’t feel as solid and confidence inspiring as I had hoped. The power band, however, keeps me coming back for more every day. Timing belt was just changed so time will tell how this hellion holds up. If you see a white wagon on your tail, you may want to move to the right…