1997 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Best Value
By george on 08/02/10 00:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought it last year (second owner), and couldn't be happier. Very solid, powerful, reliable, and smooth. Very fun to drive. I feel very safe in it, and therefore feel comfortable with my kids driving it. I've had to replace the alternator, that's all, but I have 175,000 miles on it, so what do you expect? Despite the mileage, it still runs very smooth, I imagine as smooth as when it was new. I love driving this car! I would definitely consider another Volvo on my next purchase. The only other fix was the gas cap cover, it no longer locks, but it's very minor and have yet to fix it.

proud to own
By hadabetterfind on 06/16/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My 1997 850 T5 has been a reliable and fun drive, providing good power and handling. Heading past 200K miles, it has had no extreme engine problems and has performed beyond my expectations. The 5 cylinder provides adequate power and a reliable 25 mpg, glad I found it.

Will always own a VOLVO!
By jyoung on 06/20/06 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love this car, Volvo 850 turbo! I am in the process of replacing it with a newer volvo S80. However, I wish the new ones had the old shape. I like seeing a vehicle and knowing instantly what it is. They all look alike now, it is ashame. Back to why I love volvo cars, I feel so safe in this car. It is a heavy car, never hydroplaned in this car, which means a ton to me. The air conditioning is wonderful. My car is cold, on even the hottest days, very quickly. It has great pick up, too.

Happy with the 850
By Happy Owner on 02/16/05 16:23 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My 850 T5 has been great for five years now. MPG on the highway remains constant at about 30, (70 to 70 mph). Repairs to date: fuel pump at 175,000; timing belt tensioner at 221,000. Oil leaks are beginning to appear and the ABS waring light is starting to come on from time to time. I probably won't have these problems fixed....at 222,000 miles I can't justify spending more $$ on the car. (And yes, Volvo owners, I too have bought dozens of light bulbs for this Volvo over the years.) This was my third Volvo and I'm looking for my fourth one now. A great car oveall.

Disappointed
By jhardie on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car has had a steady stream of minor and moderate problems: repairing the AC was the biggest expense, but also several minor electrical problems and lots of poor fit/quality issues. I've lost the motor on the antennae and the gas cap...very annoying. Radio reption is terrible...my Volvo dealer tells me "everyone knows Volvo radios don't work well." Lots of rattles/noises. Moon Roof fits poorly. Also, in terms of handlng, the car feels heavy to me. Accelerates fine, but not very good control in turns. I expected Volvo to have excellent attention to detail, but don't feel that way now.

Very Solid value
By MEM on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Very happy with my T-5. The acceleration is great, and given it's a turbo and I keep it on sport mode the gas MPG is great 28/23. Exterior finish is great, keep it waxed, the leather seats are mega comfortable on long trips. The only problem I have had after 98,000 miles was the AC went out 1,000 miles over warranty. Nevertheless I fought with the dealer quite aggresively on this issue given the cost to repair. I told them it wasn't real slick passing Yugo's with their windows rolled up enjoying their AC in FL and I was going down the road in a 35k dollar car with my windows down because the AC didn't work. They replaced it free. Overall great car.

Very Good, But Not Great
By popeye on 03/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Original owner, now 55k miles. Best car I ever owned, but two major faults: A/C is very prone to break downs (the controls and doors in dash); and heavy rain storm water splashing into the engin compartment causes the dash warning lights to come on and loss of power steering, etc. Believe belt must get wet and slip. Service at dealer is excellent. Thinking about buying another one.

Never Again
By Stopbeforeyoubuy on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

We bought the 850-T5 with 42,000 mi, it now has 72,000. This car has been nothing but a problem since we bought it. Problems include: electrical system, A/C went out, broken seal for the headlight washers and engine replaced. Fortunately, we did purchase an extended warranty but we're suing the Warranty company for failure to settle the claim. I will never buy another one, I've also owned 2 BMW's (currently a '97 740I) and these have always been reliable. Note that I have maintained an impeccable service schedule. As a result there's no excuse for this car's lack of quaility and reliability. Volvo buyers should BEWARE.