1997 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Great Car
By nuffsaid1 on 08/08/09 11:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car for 12 years and it has been fun to drive gets good gas mileage and is very fast. The seats are fantastic and the stereo is very good. I have had one incident and that is the ABS light comes on. The first time it happened was in the first year of ownership and no cost to me (dealer cost $1000). It occurred again this year and I found a guy on the internet who fixed it for $50. I love this car. Find a good Volvo mechanic and save yourself a lot of money

Fun wagon.
By Nick on 05/02/07 21:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the 1997 Volvo 850 T5 for a winter car and daily driver. It has done a great job for both. Very peppy and it hasn't asked for much back. Problems that I have had. 1. required a new pcv system ~ $200 2. rear hatch inner panel sags, even after new clips and repair kit ~$30. 3. left front wheel bearing went out ~$100. 4. rear license plate bracket ~$20. Otherwise this is a great car and has not given me any troubles.

Fast roomy wagon but lots of problems
By dna on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

The Volvo wagon is unique. Lots of power and room but lots of mechanical problems too. It has cost $4500 in repairs to keep it going 75,000 miles so far and that does not include the $1200 quoted for replacing the AC evaporator. I might sell the car if I can't find a better price for the AC repair.

Still a Great Car After 7 years & 90k mi
By Happy Volvo Owner on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought a 1997 850 T-5 wagon in Sept. of 1996. The car looks and drives no different now, then the day we drove it home. It is easy and fun to drive; the Sport mode on the transmission is awesome. Traction Control and snow tires make it grate in the snow. The cup holders are too small and too delicte. The power window controls are unreachable when cup holders are out. The 850 is very versitile; lots of cargo room, seats fold down easily, roof rails are handy. The dash is easy to use, the stereo and dual climate control are awesome. I will be buying many more Volvos.

Would Never Buy Another Volvo
By Colton on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I think this is a terrific car (when it works). I had probably $10,000 worth of repairs when under warranty: rear engine seals, A/C evaporator, shutter motors for the climate control, and on and on. Things fixed at the dealer don't stay fixed. I have had to contact Volvo of America to get things fixed. One thing after another goes wrong.

Red@HotWagon
By John_pl on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Grat car to drive.