1997 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
The Best Volvo
By baristablaine on 06/12/13 11:13 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This Volvo 850 has been the best car I have ever owned. I currently Have 315,000 miles on it.

Still purrs like a kitten @ 208,500 miles!
By volvoinme on 07/23/11 14:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever purchased! Considering it had 160,000 on it when I bought it. It runs great, gets decent gas mileage and has only died on me once because the fuel pump quit! (Was the original) All I have to say is volvo might be an expensive car to buy, but like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I will buy another volvo, as this one is not my last!

Beware of hidden problems
By Volvobum on 01/25/09 11:22 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought a Volvo that looked clean in terms of cosmetics - body, seats, etc but let the dealer talk me out of getting an independent inspection. Bad mistake. Heater core was later found to be leaking inside the car, radiator had small leak and after a few miles water hose to cool turbo split open. $1,200 later I learned my lesson. Labor is expensive on these cars and parts are too. Pay the $75 bucks for an inspection and be prepared to walk away from your dream car.

Nearly 12 yrs old, and still pretty nice
By Matt on 08/29/08 23:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Nice car for casual driving. Turbo gives some oomph, but responds better to steady application of throttle than stomping on pedal. Decent torque at low RPM makes it adept at city driving - even in hills. Nice leather interior, except for odd control layout. Has held up well, over time. No major problems with rattles, except sometimes from sunroof. Handling is not great. In spite of repair shop insisting suspension components were in good shape, I found cornering far worse than newer, sporty European sedans (including newer Volvos). Interestingly, car isn't as heavy as you'd think. Bought in 2000 w/ 50k miles. Now, at 185k, still surprisingly nice. But then I stayed up-to-date on service!

Love It but Hate Repair Costs
By raleighvolvo on 07/11/07 13:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. This is the car of choice to drive for all members of my family. It is great on long trips and carries a ton of luggage. Good fuel economy. Comfortable and safe. I would love another just like it but with fewer expensive repair bills. The standard bill is around $700 and have had a couple of $1200 ones. The A/C bit me for $1200. Struts are a weakpoint in this car. Cooling system was a source of a lot of repairs. Still, even with 153k+ miles on it, I hate to give it up. Have to pick it up at repair shop with $1200 of brakes, struts, timing belt, etc, for this year's (I hope) maint.

Love the car, wish it was more reliable
By roxydog on 04/15/05 01:32 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought with 60K miles almost 3 years ago as a replacement for another 850 totaled in a very bad, single car accident (flipped after hitting a tree) where I walked away without even a bruise (no one else in the car with me). Now just over 172K. Average 25-28 mpg in mixed driving (75% hwy).I would absolutely buy another Volvo but for the maintenance. I have not had some of the most common problems (rear main seal oil leak, AC cond, ABS/TRACS unit), I have had plenty of problems that cost too much: rotors, O2 sensors, tie rods, ball joints, air pump...will probably replace w/ Accord, even though the Volvo is just a lot of fun (when its working). see brickboard.com for common problems/solutions.

I won't consider anything but Volvo
By aod831 on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Traded in a 740 with 170,000 for an 850 with 58,000. I had the rear seal oil leak problem, but once that was fixed, this car has been a dream. I now have 130,000 miles and it runs just as smooth as the day I got it. I'm turning it over to our newly licensed teenage daughter and getting a used S70 (which by the way, is what my husband drives). I strongly recommend the scheduled 5,000 maintenance. Our local dealers service dept is simply the best. We couldn't ask for better!

An exasperating, expensive pleasure
By Princeton on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

The car drives very well--good turning radius, acceleration, engine response at high and low speeds, and great feeling of safety. It's also styled very well. However, in 7.5 years of my ownership, this car hardly ever has periods where nothing's wrong with it-- e.g. undiagnosed, unresolved excess oil consumption, flat tires due to the wrong type put on them by Volvo,2 exhausts replaced, a new turbocharger, plus a dozen other dumb little things, like an unopenable gas-tank door (!),several remote key entry replacements and broken cheapo cupholders. The extended warranty has paid for itself many times over.

Comfortable car at a good price
By 97volvo on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with around 95,000 miles on it. Like many other people, I noticed what looked like an oil leak and found out that the rear main seal and the turbo seal broke, but luckily the warranty lasted until 100,000 miles so I got that fixed for free. Other than that there have been no problems and i've driven it for another 5,000 miles. The ride is good and the side curtain airbags and traction control make this a safe car

Pretty good, not great
By katiek on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

The really annoying thing about this car is the AC. I live in Florida, and I'm convinced that Swedes don't know jack about AC. AC first broke only 2000 miles out of warranty for $2500 ("condenser") and now again with same three years later. (According to repair guy, the design is such that the entire engine has to be removed to get at the AC unit. What a dopey design!) I plan on getting rid of it because I'm not willing to sink over 2 grand into a 6 1/2 year old car with 125K miles. Also, I agree about flimsy cup holders, and none in back seat. Acceleration and handling are excellent tho!