Used 1997 Volvo 850 GLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

The Best Volvo
By baristablaine

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This Volvo 850 has been the best car I have ever owned. I currently Have 315,000 miles on it.

Fun to Drive, Pleanty of Power for me. ok fuel economy. You can actualy Fit 3 car seats in the Back!!!!

Everything is great as long as you can get used to the location of all the buttons.

Still purrs like a kitten @ 208,500 miles!
By volvoinme

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever purchased! Considering it had 160,000 on it when I bought it. It runs great, gets decent gas mileage and has only died on me once because the fuel pump quit! (Was the original) All I have to say is volvo might be an expensive car to buy, but like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I will buy another volvo, as this one is not my last!

I think the whole car is my favorite feature! It still looks great, gives a nice ride and everything works! Way to go volvo!!

The only issue I have had with the car is the dashboard seems to be loose and rattles alot over bumps, but considering that the car is 14 years old, I think I can live with it!

Beware of hidden problems
By Volvobum

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought a Volvo that looked clean in terms of cosmetics - body, seats, etc but let the dealer talk me out of getting an independent inspection. Bad mistake. Heater core was later found to be leaking inside the car, radiator had small leak and after a few miles water hose to cool turbo split open. $1,200 later I learned my lesson. Labor is expensive on these cars and parts are too. Pay the $75 bucks for an inspection and be prepared to walk away from your dream car.

Love turbo power for getting on freeway onramp.

Better intrior leather quality.

Nearly 12 yrs old, and still pretty nice
By Matt

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Nice car for casual driving. Turbo gives some oomph, but responds better to steady application of throttle than stomping on pedal. Decent torque at low RPM makes it adept at city driving - even in hills. Nice leather interior, except for odd control layout. Has held up well, over time. No major problems with rattles, except sometimes from sunroof. Handling is not great. In spite of repair shop insisting suspension components were in good shape, I found cornering far worse than newer, sporty European sedans (including newer Volvos). Interestingly, car isn't as heavy as you'd think. Bought in 2000 w/ 50k miles. Now, at 185k, still surprisingly nice. But then I stayed up-to-date on service!

Spacious trunk & decent size back seat are nice. Turbo is fun. Comfortable seats. Some plastic has chipped or cracked, but leather interior holding up well. Note: don't know about the first owner, but I have no kids and 99% of my driving is by myself. Stereo is pretty good, especially speakers.

Road feel seems good, but cornering could be much better. Suspension doesn't damp bumps as well as it could. Some sticky drinks eventually dripped into front seat window controls (right beneath cup holders!). They no longer work well and I don't lower front-right out of fear of up switch failure!

Love It but Hate Repair Costs
By raleighvolvo

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. This is the car of choice to drive for all members of my family. It is great on long trips and carries a ton of luggage. Good fuel economy. Comfortable and safe. I would love another just like it but with fewer expensive repair bills. The standard bill is around $700 and have had a couple of $1200 ones. The A/C bit me for $1200. Struts are a weakpoint in this car. Cooling system was a source of a lot of repairs. Still, even with 153k+ miles on it, I hate to give it up. Have to pick it up at repair shop with $1200 of brakes, struts, timing belt, etc, for this year's (I hope) maint.

A pleasure to drive on trips. Many safety features. Good gas mileage.

Improve quality: A/C, struts, cooling system, cup holders, even sun visor, radio all broke during ownership. The 850 GLT is no 240 DL believe me! I have owned both and Volvo quality has slipped.