Used 1997 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

The Best Volvo
By baristablaine

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This Volvo 850 has been the best car I have ever owned. I currently Have 315,000 miles on it.

Fun to Drive, Pleanty of Power for me. ok fuel economy. You can actualy Fit 3 car seats in the Back!!!!

Everything is great as long as you can get used to the location of all the buttons.

Good Used Car Value
By robkn

1997 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Just bought a '97 base with automatic - has 124k miles. Rides like a limo - best front seats I have ever seen. Getting 25 mpg in mixed driving. Find one that has been maintained and you can keep it forever. You may spend some repair money every year, but it is cheaper than a car payment.

Ride, handling, brakes, seats, good a/c.

Needs 91 octane gas.

Still purrs like a kitten @ 208,500 miles!
By volvoinme

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever purchased! Considering it had 160,000 on it when I bought it. It runs great, gets decent gas mileage and has only died on me once because the fuel pump quit! (Was the original) All I have to say is volvo might be an expensive car to buy, but like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I will buy another volvo, as this one is not my last!

I think the whole car is my favorite feature! It still looks great, gives a nice ride and everything works! Way to go volvo!!

The only issue I have had with the car is the dashboard seems to be loose and rattles alot over bumps, but considering that the car is 14 years old, I think I can live with it!

Great drive; nightmare A/C
By Cat

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Got a great deal on this used car -- below Blue Book -- and it has definitely been worth the money. Has always driven great for me; very comfortable (long as you're sitting in the front seat); great power. But I have spent far too much in recent years on what apparently is an unfixable freon leak; a black car w/o AC is unendurable in Florida summers, & the problem is getting worse. Other problems piling up now: elusive, stubborn oil leak has also cost money for several years, hinge on front passenger door broke; cupholder broke, sunroof broke; outside trim coming off; electrical short stops dash lights/turning signal from working. Odometer broke last year at 123K; time to trade this one in.

engine power, front passenger creature comfort, rain/snow traction

I love Volvo, but am considering switching to another brand now that I live in Florida. The A/C problems are just unacceptable, and the mechanics tell me they are commonplace for this European brand. Volvo really needs to get a handle on climate control for US climates; this ain't Sweden, guys.

Best Value
By george

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought it last year (second owner), and couldn't be happier. Very solid, powerful, reliable, and smooth. Very fun to drive. I feel very safe in it, and therefore feel comfortable with my kids driving it. I've had to replace the alternator, that's all, but I have 175,000 miles on it, so what do you expect? Despite the mileage, it still runs very smooth, I imagine as smooth as when it was new. I love driving this car! I would definitely consider another Volvo on my next purchase. The only other fix was the gas cap cover, it no longer locks, but it's very minor and have yet to fix it.

Exterior style/look, solid feel, its power(Turbo!), and reliability. Leather seats are comfortable. Drives very sturdy. Paint job is outstanding! Been parked at work in the hot sun for 13 years and is still bright shiny red. I don't notice any fading, and people don't believe it's original paint job.

Interior design, particularly the location of controls (window, etc.). Control center for all windows is in the center as opposed to on the doors, and the cup holders are small & located right above the window controls in the center. If a drink leaks/spills, it'll spill on the electronic controls.