1996 Volvo 850 Consumer Review: New Blue Volvo

1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.3L 5-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic)

New Blue Volvo
By P Cars on

1996 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I work at a Volvo dealership and found these cars to have the best quality for purchase price ratio of any Volvo. I found this one through a private party and loved it the minute I saw it. It had numerous problems at first. ABS control unit, spring seats, torque mount, fluid conditions and leaks. After repairing these for cheap and flushing every possible fluid this car runs great and drives wonderfully. I find I just feel good driving in it. I never mind giving people rides or going on errands just to have the chance to drive it. The paint isn't the best but I still love the color. Unfortunately, the best mpg I've seen is 22. The interior is laid out well and it's easy to access all buttons.

I really love the sport/economy button. It allows for low rpm shifts to improve fuel economy but if you want to you can hit the switch and the trans will downshift at lower throttle angles and will hold higher revs between shifts. This makes for a lot of fun getting around town. Also, premuim sound.

Settting rear toe is a pain. The delta link gives at the right points and provides good traction, but you really can't beat a good multi-link, control arm set up. Also ABS control units should have been easier to take apart to fix. A better turning radius would have been a plus and more like a Volvo.