Impressively quick
By DIC_CAMARILLO on
1996 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon
Our Volvo 850R wagon was suppose to be a Home Depot weekend hauler and occasional camping car. Then I discovered the economy/power button! Wow! This car really moves. The economy mode allows the transmission to shift at lower rpms and less boost. The power mode lets this wonderful little engine roar! Turbo boost up, rpms up - right in the power band! If the numbers are correct, this car will beat my Boxster. After feeling the boost, I believe it will walk away from my Boxster up to 80mph. The seats are also very comfortable, the car has nice features and it sure is fun to drive. The suspension is okay at best. Overall a very impressive little box.
Favorite Features
Power, Turbo, Acceleration! Very unassuming little wagon surprises many other cars as I walk away from them. Seats are very comfortable. Heated seats a nice touch. Great heater. Lots of space inside. I hauled 800 lbs of slate and she did okay - impressive! Great visibility! Easy to drive.
Suggested Improvements
Cup holders are almost useless, like our 960 wagon. Suspension is suppose to be sport tuned, but they missed the mark - a tighter suspension would be nice. Second row seats don't fold as nice as the 960 wagon. Speakers don't sound too good for a "premium" stereo system. Just minor stuff.