1996 Volvo 850 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Volvos remain reliable
By JRW00 on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned a 96 Volvo 850 for five years, and haven't had any problems with it. It just goes and goes, with just ordinary maintenance. It's comfortable, roomy, and performs well.

VOLVO
By flody on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had a love hate relationship with this vehicle. I love flooring it and wasteing other cars but I hate the constant brake/electrical problems.

starting to wonder
By A.J. on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought this volvo with 100,000 miles on it. I did all my homework before I bought this car and I did a lot of questioning on wether or not this was going to be a good car for the mileage and all but every review was ranting and raving on how the 1996 850 was bullet proof and all the bugs were worked out. It is a great car but it is expensive to repair . All of the things that I have had repaired on it were wear and tear. Or were they? It needed brakes with one new caliper $720, O2 sensor $350, tracs light came on $500, check engine light $700, I now have 154,000 miles on the car.

Volvo's Are Lemons
By Mireya on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I first bought a Volvo I thought I was buying quality. Little did I know that I was going to be taking my car into the shop every 6 months for major repairs. Problems have been crank shaft main seal (2), AC (4), stereo, front bearings, exterior weather trim and these repairs don't include the regular maintance like brakes and strunts. I've had Japanese cars that were much older and drove them to the ground. After this experience I will diffinitely go back to Japanese cars. I bought my Volvo at 40,000 miles which is considered new to Volvo but the problems are one after an other.

My 850
By Bosco on 04/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

The car has been very dependable. The steering has excellent feel, but the handling in corners could be better. The interior space is excellent and the flexibilty offered by having the seat backs fold down is a major plus. In its price class, I think it was an excellent choice.

Great Car
By Evan on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for only 8 months and have added 20k miles to it!! Over all I haven’t had any major problems, just the typical ones with higher mileage cars. This car is kind of pricey to maintain, but I love it.

My Dream Car
By Ed G.H. on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

Always wanted a Volvo; finally got one! My 850GLT is the cat's meow. Wouldn't mind parts costing less and more repair facilities willing to work on Volvos. My Volvo is mint condition and gives me the luxury ride I like for half the price of most alike competitors. Would gladly buy Volvo again!

Happy Driver
By Happy Driver on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

This has been an incredible car to drive. Fun, fast and great handling...who would of thought that Volvo could produce a "sporty" car. Two thumbs up for this car, i got an awesome deal...only cost me 8,000. I had someone offer me 12,000 the day after i bought it. Great ride, love it!!!

Our Second Volvo
By Tankjr1996 on 02/28/02 22:46 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

We also own a '90 240DL (175K mi). I bought this car with 45K mi for $14,900 as a lease return from NC. The ride is tight but not rough. It handles great and feels VERY solid. No problems yet except for a loose radio knob. Even with 80K on it, it still wholesales for $10K. All in all I'm glad I bought it.

Buy Japanese
By mtlatham on 02/26/02 22:16 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

Air Conditioner has gone out $1500. Emissions sensor has gone out $1500. Incessant squeaks and rattles. I have basically torn out the dash trying to find one rattle - still haven't found it. Dealerships suck. I owned an Acura before this - I will go back.