Used 1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

expensive but nice
By sarahbaker

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for a little over 8 years now. It is an awesome car - great interior, solid exterior, fun to drive. My biggest complain has simply been with the cost of repairs. In the past year and a half I have put well over $2000 into the car. With the car not even being worth much more than that, it is time to say goodbye. I would recommend this car highly, but only if you have the funds to maintain it. It requires more money than I can put into it, but I truly do hate to see it go.

The sound system (nice for factory installed), the interior layout, the power, and the way it handles in all kinds of weather.

Dealerships need to make repairs more affordable.

volvo 850 turbo
By patagonia

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

great car high performance comfotable suprisingly fast and nimble loaded with features that would be extra costly on other makes

Safe, Reliable Car
By fusnyphi

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1996 and maintained regularly through the dealership until the warranty expired. Now serviced by a more trustworthy independent import repair shop. Save by buying parts online. A strong, solid, dependable car (150k miles). Excellent brakes, but rotors are not durable. No significant mechanical problems.

seats, safety features, trunk space

better situated and stronger cupholders

False Advertising
By No Volvo for You

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought a Volvo because of what I believed they had a reputation for producing safe, trouble-free, cars that would last many years. After 6+ years, I've had to spend over $13,000 on repairs to the car -- what's kept me going is the thought that nothing else could happen....well I've been wrong every time. I'm going to get through this winter, sell it or give it away and will steer clear of Volvo (horrendous service and warranty replacement policies BTW) as I suggest you or anyone considering a Volvo do as well.

Got a good one
By T-luv

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in '99 with 57k on it. Now has 150k miles. Had all of the normal problems (brakes, cam sensors, squeaks in dash, bulb burnout, etc.) but these have all been relatively minor. I can never understand why folks take their cars to the dealers for service and get ripped off - find someone else! I fix most things myself so costs have been rather low. It's a solid car that we got for my wife to be safe in. Will probably sell it next year but overall it has been a decent car and we'll miss it. Probably the best student car out there (safe, durable, not too powerful).

Safety. Seats are comfy. Easy to drive. Gas mileage of 24mpg. Mechanically it seems durable. Great in snow and heats up super quick - my wife loves that!

Squeaky dash. Source better interior light bulbs.