Used 1996 Volvo 850 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

1996 Volvo 850 sw 5 speed manual
By mec12

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

As of 11/13/2014 car has 213,888 miles. Recently replaced ABS/Traction control module myself. Recently had driver's seat reupholstered. Overall car has been reliable. Since I am 6'0", the excellent headroom and speed control has made long distance driving a joy. I use semi synthetic 10W-30 motor oil to reduce or minimize oil consumption. No oil leaks. Car has original engine, original transmission. Would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone. Plan on keeping the car until a minimum of 300,000 miles.

great performer overall
By jsrobinow

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

We have owned this car since new, now in the family 16 years. Has been very reliable comfortable and versatile. Manual gear box makes it fun to drive. Station wagon configuration makes as useful as any large SUV with vastly better gas mileage and nicer road handling. Odometer gear failed and I replaced the gear with an e bay source that included instructions on installation. ABS module failed and internet lead me to a place to buy a rebuilt one and installed it myself. These are two classic weak spots of this car that are easily fixed by the owner. Fuel pump did fail and was replaced. We now have 181K on odometer. Still running well. This model supports the legendary Volvo value

Favorite Features

Versatility, well designed very comfortable seats, easy to maintain with minimal support from dealer or mechanic. material quality of both exterior and interior of the car. ageless appearance

Suggested Improvements

Better designed abs module, eliminate the silly headlight wipers that fell apart years ago.

Served us well and then some
By Chrissie

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

When we bought our Volvo it was older, but with low mileage. The car has been very good to us. We've done a few minor repairs ourselves, thanks in part to the great Volvo message boards. We've had no major repairs which is saying something for a car that is now 12 years old. I feel safe and comfortable in my car. Fuel mileage is pretty good considering the size of the car.

Favorite Features

Interior size & comfort. Safety.

Suggested Improvements

Window controls on the door.

Volvo Forever!
By Greg

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new. Wife drove it for over ten years. My daughter has just gotten her license and is using the car. The only thing that makes this car seem old is when I drive my S-60. Aside from normal maintenance over the years, we have only had two out of warranty issues( 1- broken caliper 2- external thermometer which regulates the heating & A/C). I also use my local dealer for all service, which I believe has kept repairs to a minimum. My family is sold on Volvo cars.

Favorite Features

My wife says it the heated seats. For me it's the separate climate controls.

Fantastic car
By I love my Volvo

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

We bought our 96 Volvo Wagon in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. We love this car. It now has 106,000 miles on it and is still running like the day we bought it. It is very comfortable, has decent pickup and handles very well. The ride is nice and controlled. Only weak spots are the brakes tend to warp to easy (you just need to upgrade to a higher quality rotor) and the factory A/C unit will only last a few years before you have to spend $1000 to replace it. The A/C in general is not great, but I have never been in a European car with great A/C.

Favorite Features

The massive cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Better A/C quality control. Brakes, brakes, brakes!