Used 1996 Volvo 850 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

1996 Volvo 850 sw 5 speed manual
By mec12

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

As of 11/13/2014 car has 213,888 miles. Recently replaced ABS/Traction control module myself. Recently had driver's seat reupholstered. Overall car has been reliable. Since I am 6'0", the excellent headroom and speed control has made long distance driving a joy. I use semi synthetic 10W-30 motor oil to reduce or minimize oil consumption. No oil leaks. Car has original engine, original transmission. Would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone. Plan on keeping the car until a minimum of 300,000 miles.

great performer overall
By jsrobinow

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

We have owned this car since new, now in the family 16 years. Has been very reliable comfortable and versatile. Manual gear box makes it fun to drive. Station wagon configuration makes as useful as any large SUV with vastly better gas mileage and nicer road handling. Odometer gear failed and I replaced the gear with an e bay source that included instructions on installation. ABS module failed and internet lead me to a place to buy a rebuilt one and installed it myself. These are two classic weak spots of this car that are easily fixed by the owner. Fuel pump did fail and was replaced. We now have 181K on odometer. Still running well. This model supports the legendary Volvo value

Versatility, well designed very comfortable seats, easy to maintain with minimal support from dealer or mechanic. material quality of both exterior and interior of the car. ageless appearance

Better designed abs module, eliminate the silly headlight wipers that fell apart years ago.

Not A Good Idea
By kittycrabbs

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

People like to say Ford screwed up Volvo, but the 850 was made long before Ford took over and it's a dog. Constant front alignment problems, tire wear, abs problems, shifter wouldn't move, glove box decided not to open. I got rid of the car when the seat belt wouldn't pull away from the door post- wanted $650 to fix it. Never left me stranded, but the smallest repair job cost a fortune. I thought I'd have it a lot longer than 130k miles.

The seats. So comfortable I wish I could have taken out and put them in my new car. High quality interior and paint.

discontinued

Solid fun brick, expensive repairs
By ADub

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought mine used at 170000 miles, now has 230000. Right around 200000, had to replace starter, fuel pump, and the odo. went out. Have not replaced odo. Have computer, overall 30 mpg, probably 26 city, 35+ hwy. I drive it slow, 55 mph on hwy. Just replaced head gasket, $1250 at ind.gar Volvos are super safe (built in roll bar in roof), built to last, superior handling, even for the wagons. I believe that the non-turbo engines are peppier than the turbos (when not in boost range). Parts are very expensive - the starter as a rebuilt was $200, not incl. labor. Found a used one for $30 and did it myself. Could have done the fuel pump myself, and saved $400 on labor (part was $200).

The smooth drive. Even with budget tires, at 70 mph, you feel like you are on glass, very quiet. Plus, the suspension matches BMW. You can take turns without slowing down, very little body lean. sunroof doesn't slide back anymore (around 175000)only tilts.Replaced brake pads $50 for dustless.

Having the window switches on the center console just below the cup holders, is a disaster waiting to happen. Had to replace an evaporator on a 97 sedan (NA) I previously owned, at around 100000, that was over 1 grand. Also had to replace the rear main seal at around 110000, was also over 1 grand

non turbo wagon
By off road monster

1996 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

I had it for about two years and so far, i had to replace the header, the catalytic converter twice, O2 sensor, the starter, a CV axle and a head lamp wiper motor. It is a some-what easy car to work on and I would be willing to try my luck with another in the future.

engine wont quit

all volvo's should have turbos :-p