1996 Volvo 850 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Great fun and reliable car to drive!
By loveswedcars25 on 04/22/12 14:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my car a year ago from one of my brothers friends. It had been sitting in his garage barely used and barely ran. When I got it, it had 140,000 miles on it, now the odometer reads 150,800 miles. I haven't had any real problem with it. Except for a fuel filter going out, but that's a cheap fix. It has always ran strong and never left me completely stranded on the side of the road. The interior is great, very roomy and comfortable. The engine is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going. And the fact that the car come stock with a underbelly cover makes driving on rocky roads way less worry-some. When this car dies, if it ever does, I will own another Volvo!

First Car, But not the last Volvo!
By swedish_love on 03/28/12 17:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96' 850 in 2009, as my first car, with 112k miles on it. Other than a few select electrical & accessory issues (radio, sunroof, bulbs), and irksome mechanical issues (ac compressor failure) this car has been a complete joy to own. Without a doubt the most comfortable car I've had the pleasure of driving. Smooth, quiet and the exhaust note is quite soothing. Engine reliability has been flawless. I can't say enough great things about this car, just make sure to keep a few extra bucks socked away for maintenance.

Great Car!!
By josh63 on 11/04/11 20:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 2 months ago. It had about 144,500 miles on it when I got it. I just hit 150,000 today! I have to say the one downfall of this vehicle is the gas mileage I average 26mpgs. I willl say in the short time that I have owned this car I have been pleased, I commute about 1.5 hours to and from school so its holding up to about 150 miles a day, which is very good for a car of its age. The interior is very comfortable, and very well designed, my driver seat heater quit working, that is the only downfall I have seen on the inside. The car also handles very well in the rain, I hate to say it but I almost enjoy driving in the rain now!! When this one dies I WILL have another one!

Amazing Friend over the years...
By vgirl on 03/06/11 08:57 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of my 1996 850 Turbo Sedan. The odometer stopped about 3 or 4 years ago at 194,000 and we guess it has about 250,000 miles on it. I haven't had to do much to the engine over the years--or anything else for that matter. It does leak oil now, but after so many years I can afford a little oil now and then to keep the girl happy. Would love to buy another one when she finally quits. Not sure when that will be....it will be a sad day for sure!

the ultimate sleeper
By volvoville on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought mine from a coworker 2 years ago with 137000 miles on it..after tune up, replacing oil trap and new set of tires, now i own extremely reliable and fun car to drive..never gave me any problems, and i run 13 pounds of boost all day long via mbc..very fast..

a truly great car and hard worker
By krizy1 on 04/07/10 10:59 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

i bought my volvo from a friend of mine.. he had neglected to car somewhat,so i had to do a few maintenance things. this car is easy to work on,parts for the most part are inexpensive. although there are a few things i wouldn't fix myself. over cheap to up keep.. fun as hell to drive.,flip it into sport mode and away you..,it's fast,.,responsive,over engineered.the only complaint would be gas mileage in the city.,but still not awful.. just could be better.. i love my volvo.

By Thank you Volvo on 11/25/09 07:46 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Thank you for being the only forced induction that uses reg-87 gas and i still cannot believe it. The car runs and drives great, V-8 power and 4-cyl. gas sipping i cannot lose and do not forget the great volvo safety just incase things get out of hand. buy one now and thank me later

DER PANZER WAGEN
By Grimshaw on 08/24/09 19:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

With this economy I went from a 05 Jag XJ8L (repoed) to a bicycle to this car. I bought this car 3 months ago. I gotta say, I don't miss the jag that much! This tank could use some more power and my friend says it drives like a golf cart but I dig it. Ran into the heaviest rain I've ever seen in Jacksonville and handled like a dream. Made a couple of 7 hour trips to Charleston from Florida and it was great. City driving is good too, although it is really loud. The odometer is broken ($300 to fix)but the dealership can still get the mileage from the computer. All and all I'm really pleased with this ride and I'm going to be driving it for a long time or at least till the economy comes back!

A European Buick!
By djfkeefe on 08/02/08 09:14 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

Major advantage: comfort, most comfortable car I've ever owned. Gasoline mileage respectable - 25 mpg. Major drawback: maintenance costs - cost $4800 in the 4 yrs I owned it, and was facing as much for this year. Started to use oil, 1 qt per 3M miles. Wind-dam too low, knocked it off several times on low concrete barriers (difficult repair). Nonsensible design: headlight wipers, but no rear window wiper? Why?

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By cking3177 on 06/20/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I purchased the Volvo in 1996, I had no idea that I'd still be driving it and loving it 12 years later. It is still very quiet and comfortable. I've never had any out-of-the ordinary repair issues. This is a great car!