Used 1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Great fun and reliable car to drive!
By loveswedcars25

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my car a year ago from one of my brothers friends. It had been sitting in his garage barely used and barely ran. When I got it, it had 140,000 miles on it, now the odometer reads 150,800 miles. I haven't had any real problem with it. Except for a fuel filter going out, but that's a cheap fix. It has always ran strong and never left me completely stranded on the side of the road. The interior is great, very roomy and comfortable. The engine is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going. And the fact that the car come stock with a underbelly cover makes driving on rocky roads way less worry-some. When this car dies, if it ever does, I will own another Volvo!

Favorite Features

Engine, Interior, placement of window, lock, and sunroof controls.

Suggested Improvements

Button to engage full-time AWD.

First Car, But not the last Volvo!
By swedish_love

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96' 850 in 2009, as my first car, with 112k miles on it. Other than a few select electrical & accessory issues (radio, sunroof, bulbs), and irksome mechanical issues (ac compressor failure) this car has been a complete joy to own. Without a doubt the most comfortable car I've had the pleasure of driving. Smooth, quiet and the exhaust note is quite soothing. Engine reliability has been flawless. I can't say enough great things about this car, just make sure to keep a few extra bucks socked away for maintenance.

Great Car!!
By josh63

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 2 months ago. It had about 144,500 miles on it when I got it. I just hit 150,000 today! I have to say the one downfall of this vehicle is the gas mileage I average 26mpgs. I willl say in the short time that I have owned this car I have been pleased, I commute about 1.5 hours to and from school so its holding up to about 150 miles a day, which is very good for a car of its age. The interior is very comfortable, and very well designed, my driver seat heater quit working, that is the only downfall I have seen on the inside. The car also handles very well in the rain, I hate to say it but I almost enjoy driving in the rain now!! When this one dies I WILL have another one!

Favorite Features

I love the way that the front seat are designed they are very comfortable, especially for a commuter like my self. I also like the premium sound system that came with it, one of my speakers needs replacing but other than that its great.

Suggested Improvements

There are a few blindspots in the back, which makes switching lanes and backing up a little more complicated, but nothing a few stick on convex mirrors wont fix.

Amazing Friend over the years...
By vgirl

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of my 1996 850 Turbo Sedan. The odometer stopped about 3 or 4 years ago at 194,000 and we guess it has about 250,000 miles on it. I haven't had to do much to the engine over the years--or anything else for that matter. It does leak oil now, but after so many years I can afford a little oil now and then to keep the girl happy. Would love to buy another one when she finally quits. Not sure when that will be....it will be a sad day for sure!

Favorite Features

Long life! So, seriously, I love the stereo (got a beefier version than the stock one) and the fact that I can have cool air blowing on my face and warm air on my feet at the same time.

Suggested Improvements

None, really. I have seriously been very very happy.

the ultimate sleeper
By volvoville

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought mine from a coworker 2 years ago with 137000 miles on it..after tune up, replacing oil trap and new set of tires, now i own extremely reliable and fun car to drive..never gave me any problems, and i run 13 pounds of boost all day long via mbc..very fast..

Favorite Features

exterior design, interior design, first class seats, reliability, performance

Suggested Improvements

none, it is what it is and i love it