Used 1996 Volvo 850 R R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

1996 Volvo 850 R

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Love This Car - And I am Picky!
By Ricardo

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Never thought I would even own a Volvo, let alone say I loved one. Keep them maintained and they will keep on going! Do a few modifications and these will not only get better gas mileage (30+ if you can keep your foot out of the turbo) but also blow the doors off of most cars out there.

Favorite Features

Reliable, low key, wickedly fast when you want it to be!

Suggested Improvements

As to the reviewer who wanted more horsepower, the right shop can fix that! Improvements I can't fix: the cup holder being directly over the window switches, but I shouldn't be drinking anything in a car with pwr heated leather and suede seats anyway.

Thatr
By LUVTHATR

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Fastest/safest most reliable car i've ever owned,, at 156,000 it still "cruises" at 135 mph.. Ac dumped at 150,00 pirelli p zero' 17" hold the road like a custom glove.. If the abs/trac lights goes on/off it's the ignition key switch.. See one,, buy it !!! 25Mpg even at demon speed..Oh ,.. And the cd stereo ,,sounds like heaven and this is an 850 turbo "r" with the spoiler on the trunk and spoiler under front bumper

Favorite Features

Heated suede/leather seats stereo....Fold down rear seats..Bring home an 8' ladder...Window controls at right hand

Suggested Improvements

Make more of them !!!!

Built like a tank!
By Alex M

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

I would recommend this car to everybody. It is very comfortable and has enough passing power to embarass quite a number of cars. I love the seats, the layout and the features.

Favorite Features

Sport/Economy button, heated seats (Hey, I live in Minnesota :) )

Keeper
By gmac

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Have enjoyed everything about R! Great acceleration, handling good for sedan. Been smacked 3 times by poor drivers....great protection, never close to injury! Safety plus. Seats are best...cannot stand other luxury seats..especially for long trip, replaced radio x'x 3 (all on warranty.) A/C fine for 6 years, then leak in heater coil. Ride harsher than GLT sedan, but wouldn't trade ddue to other features. Love it at 207K miles....hate the "soft" 17 inch wheels, bend...but saved life once so....! Cannot find a replacement with all features I like ...keep it til 300K or 400K.

Favorite Features

Acceleration great, seats absolutely wonderful, can drive for 100's without complaint. A/C good in hot gulf, Feel protected by great safety features. Have liked cruise control...very accurate and adjustable. Fun to drive..comfotable.

Suggested Improvements

Wheels, wheels wheels. Front spoiler "guards" to avoid high curbs. Better cup holders and window controls on door.

Fun car if you're rich
By zachj

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought 96'850R volvo in 99'.I was 16 when I got and for the first few months it was great.After that I wished I had bought a bicycle instead,would have saved about 15000.Had to replace both back brake rotors.Battery went dead about twice a week.Alternator broke twice.Tracs and abs light is always on and dealership doesnt know a damn thing about fixing it.A/C is the worst thing ever.Leaks out once a month.

Favorite Features

Stereo sounds good.Very fast with ipd upgrade.Seats are nice.Handles ok but is a lil top heavy.