1996 Volvo 850 R - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
What a sleeper
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 01/20/10 22:22 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon

We have a 850R wagon with automatic. When I put my 850 in sport mode, the computer lets the engine rev and the turbo give more boost. I don't want to admit it, but this little red wagon will beat my 2003 Porsche Boxster. The turbo power keeps pushing and the engine is a tiny 2.3l inline 5. I laugh as I pull away from cars - those Mustang GT's don't have great takeoff. The suede/leather seats are very comfortable and the heat is nice. Of course the safety aspect is tops for Volvo. Handling is good. Brakes are solid. Reliability is good for a European car. We've had the odo, radiator, ash tray, mass airflow sensor go out. The rear view mirror shook loose and was put back on.

Impressively quick
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 11/30/09 21:54 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon

Our Volvo 850R wagon was suppose to be a Home Depot weekend hauler and occasional camping car. Then I discovered the economy/power button! Wow! This car really moves. The economy mode allows the transmission to shift at lower rpms and less boost. The power mode lets this wonderful little engine roar! Turbo boost up, rpms up - right in the power band! If the numbers are correct, this car will beat my Boxster. After feeling the boost, I believe it will walk away from my Boxster up to 80mph. The seats are also very comfortable, the car has nice features and it sure is fun to drive. The suspension is okay at best. Overall a very impressive little box.

Love This Car - And I am Picky!
By Ricardo on 11/22/08 14:26 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Never thought I would even own a Volvo, let alone say I loved one. Keep them maintained and they will keep on going! Do a few modifications and these will not only get better gas mileage (30+ if you can keep your foot out of the turbo) but also blow the doors off of most cars out there.

Volvo 850R best auto ever made
By casperjim on 11/20/07 15:49 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon

It is the best car that I have ever owned. No complaints. I now have 150,000, bought the car when it had 104,000.

Thatr
By LUVTHATR on 06/15/05 22:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Fastest/safest most reliable car i've ever owned,, at 156,000 it still "cruises" at 135 mph.. Ac dumped at 150,00 pirelli p zero' 17" hold the road like a custom glove.. If the abs/trac lights goes on/off it's the ignition key switch.. See one,, buy it !!! 25Mpg even at demon speed..Oh ,.. And the cd stereo ,,sounds like heaven and this is an 850 turbo "r" with the spoiler on the trunk and spoiler under front bumper

Built like a tank!
By Alex M on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

I would recommend this car to everybody. It is very comfortable and has enough passing power to embarass quite a number of cars. I love the seats, the layout and the features.

I love it
By Newif on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon

The best car that i'we ever driven. lots of power. Great performance, great handeling. Go for an 850 R.

Volvo 850R Wagon
By fezzik on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought our R Wagon used with 49K miles. After looking for Volvo turbo and non wagons, the R was a find. I figured if we were going to drive a wagon, it would be a bad ass one. Only complaint are amount of rattles which cannot completely be blamed on wheel and tire package as other Volvo's in our family were known to rattle. It's blast to drive around and a great highway cruiser. Passes at the blip of the throttle, brakes are strong and handles like it's smaller and lighter than it is.

Keeper
By gmac on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Have enjoyed everything about R! Great acceleration, handling good for sedan. Been smacked 3 times by poor drivers....great protection, never close to injury! Safety plus. Seats are best...cannot stand other luxury seats..especially for long trip, replaced radio x'x 3 (all on warranty.) A/C fine for 6 years, then leak in heater coil. Ride harsher than GLT sedan, but wouldn't trade ddue to other features. Love it at 207K miles....hate the "soft" 17 inch wheels, bend...but saved life once so....! Cannot find a replacement with all features I like ...keep it til 300K or 400K.

Fun car if you're rich
By zachj on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 R R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought 96'850R volvo in 99'.I was 16 when I got and for the first few months it was great.After that I wished I had bought a bicycle instead,would have saved about 15000.Had to replace both back brake rotors.Battery went dead about twice a week.Alternator broke twice.Tracs and abs light is always on and dealership doesnt know a damn thing about fixing it.A/C is the worst thing ever.Leaks out once a month.