Used 1996 Volvo 850 GLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Great fun and reliable car to drive!
By loveswedcars25

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my car a year ago from one of my brothers friends. It had been sitting in his garage barely used and barely ran. When I got it, it had 140,000 miles on it, now the odometer reads 150,800 miles. I haven't had any real problem with it. Except for a fuel filter going out, but that's a cheap fix. It has always ran strong and never left me completely stranded on the side of the road. The interior is great, very roomy and comfortable. The engine is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going. And the fact that the car come stock with a underbelly cover makes driving on rocky roads way less worry-some. When this car dies, if it ever does, I will own another Volvo!

Engine, Interior, placement of window, lock, and sunroof controls.

Button to engage full-time AWD.

First Car, But not the last Volvo!
By swedish_love

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96' 850 in 2009, as my first car, with 112k miles on it. Other than a few select electrical & accessory issues (radio, sunroof, bulbs), and irksome mechanical issues (ac compressor failure) this car has been a complete joy to own. Without a doubt the most comfortable car I've had the pleasure of driving. Smooth, quiet and the exhaust note is quite soothing. Engine reliability has been flawless. I can't say enough great things about this car, just make sure to keep a few extra bucks socked away for maintenance.

a truly great car and hard worker
By krizy1

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

i bought my volvo from a friend of mine.. he had neglected to car somewhat,so i had to do a few maintenance things. this car is easy to work on,parts for the most part are inexpensive. although there are a few things i wouldn't fix myself. over cheap to up keep.. fun as hell to drive.,flip it into sport mode and away you..,it's fast,.,responsive,over engineered.the only complaint would be gas mileage in the city.,but still not awful.. just could be better.. i love my volvo.

transmission mode switch.. and design on car.. it makes sense and most everything is easy to get to

better gas mileage..

DER PANZER WAGEN
By Grimshaw

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

With this economy I went from a 05 Jag XJ8L (repoed) to a bicycle to this car. I bought this car 3 months ago. I gotta say, I don't miss the jag that much! This tank could use some more power and my friend says it drives like a golf cart but I dig it. Ran into the heaviest rain I've ever seen in Jacksonville and handled like a dream. Made a couple of 7 hour trips to Charleston from Florida and it was great. City driving is good too, although it is really loud. The odometer is broken ($300 to fix)but the dealership can still get the mileage from the computer. All and all I'm really pleased with this ride and I'm going to be driving it for a long time or at least till the economy comes back!

Only having to get an oil change every 5k miles or 12 months.

It would be nice to have more speed.

A European Buick!
By djfkeefe

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Major advantage: comfort, most comfortable car I've ever owned. Gasoline mileage respectable - 25 mpg. Major drawback: maintenance costs - cost $4800 in the 4 yrs I owned it, and was facing as much for this year. Started to use oil, 1 qt per 3M miles. Wind-dam too low, knocked it off several times on low concrete barriers (difficult repair). Nonsensible design: headlight wipers, but no rear window wiper? Why?

Solidity

Wind dam: too low; other cars don't seem to have its problem. Wipers on headlights? C'mon. Need wipers on rear window.