1996 Volvo 850 2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
1996 Volvo 850 sw 5 speed manual
By mec12

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

As of 11/13/2014 car has 213,888 miles. Recently replaced ABS/Traction control module myself. Recently had driver's seat reupholstered. Overall car has been reliable. Since I am 6'0", the excellent headroom and speed control has made long distance driving a joy. I use semi synthetic 10W-30 motor oil to reduce or minimize oil consumption. No oil leaks. Car has original engine, original transmission. Would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone. Plan on keeping the car until a minimum of 300,000 miles.

great performer overall
By jsrobinow

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

We have owned this car since new, now in the family 16 years. Has been very reliable comfortable and versatile. Manual gear box makes it fun to drive. Station wagon configuration makes as useful as any large SUV with vastly better gas mileage and nicer road handling. Odometer gear failed and I replaced the gear with an e bay source that included instructions on installation. ABS module failed and internet lead me to a place to buy a rebuilt one and installed it myself. These are two classic weak spots of this car that are easily fixed by the owner. Fuel pump did fail and was replaced. We now have 181K on odometer. Still running well. This model supports the legendary Volvo value

Favorite Features

Versatility, well designed very comfortable seats, easy to maintain with minimal support from dealer or mechanic. material quality of both exterior and interior of the car. ageless appearance

Suggested Improvements

Better designed abs module, eliminate the silly headlight wipers that fell apart years ago.

Served us well and then some
By Chrissie

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

When we bought our Volvo it was older, but with low mileage. The car has been very good to us. We've done a few minor repairs ourselves, thanks in part to the great Volvo message boards. We've had no major repairs which is saying something for a car that is now 12 years old. I feel safe and comfortable in my car. Fuel mileage is pretty good considering the size of the car.

Favorite Features

Interior size & comfort. Safety.

Suggested Improvements

Window controls on the door.

Volvo Forever!
By Greg

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new. Wife drove it for over ten years. My daughter has just gotten her license and is using the car. The only thing that makes this car seem old is when I drive my S-60. Aside from normal maintenance over the years, we have only had two out of warranty issues( 1- broken caliper 2- external thermometer which regulates the heating & A/C). I also use my local dealer for all service, which I believe has kept repairs to a minimum. My family is sold on Volvo cars.

Favorite Features

My wife says it the heated seats. For me it's the separate climate controls.

Fantastic car
By I love my Volvo

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

We bought our 96 Volvo Wagon in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. We love this car. It now has 106,000 miles on it and is still running like the day we bought it. It is very comfortable, has decent pickup and handles very well. The ride is nice and controlled. Only weak spots are the brakes tend to warp to easy (you just need to upgrade to a higher quality rotor) and the factory A/C unit will only last a few years before you have to spend $1000 to replace it. The A/C in general is not great, but I have never been in a European car with great A/C.

Favorite Features

The massive cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Better A/C quality control. Brakes, brakes, brakes!

Solid but quirky
By Jerry

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used in 2004 and still own it today. It still avgs about 20-22 mpg combined, and drives nicely. The car is as solid as a tank, but it has some of the quirkiest problems. The "idiot" lights for abs, traction control, SRS and check engine cycle on and off randomly, and there's nothing wrong with any of these items. The driver's door makes a banging sound when I open it, and currently my horn is stuck and "blowing", so I had to physically disconnect it until I can have it repaired. Enjoy the ride, if you can live with the quirks.

Favorite Features

The leather seats, very comfortable. As heavy as it is, driving in the rain is great.

Suggested Improvements

too late for this, they've probably made them

Great car but expensive repairs
By Geoff83

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

We bought our Volvo in 1997 with 20,000 miles, now its 2004 with 145,000 miles. In that time there have been no major problems. There have been some minor things that have had to be replaced, i.e. cup holders, lamps, reverse lights, sensors. But for a car with this many miles the problems aren't that bad, in fact almost all occurred with less than 50,000 miles and havn't had to be fixed again. My one big problem with the car is the price of repairs. Parts are expensive and the Volvo dealer prices are extremely high. Got in an accident and they appraised for $600 but instead went to local mechanic and payed $50 for a new grill and that was it. But safety

Favorite Features

Favorite features are pretty good gas milage, comfy and supportive seats for long distance driving, and of course the reliablity of driving the car for 145,000 miles and no major problems. In fact coming back from tune-ups the car drives new.

Suggested Improvements

The outside appearance is a little boxy could be a little more appealing, improve design and durability of cup holders, its minor but its annoying, the door latches are ackward, have to help people open the door who havn't been in it before. Only minor suggestions for minor problems.

Tough Expensive Workhorse
By xcvbvbb

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

Ive driven the 850 60000 miles in 3 years and I find it extremely reliable. There a re a lot of aggressive young drivers in my area and I dont worry if the idiots crash into me - a land rover rearended me and merely bashed up the boot lid. It builds up your driving confidence if youre nervous on the roads. Replacement parts are expensive - ive been quoted 2000 for replacement ABS unit.

Favorite Features

Large boot, reliability, comfortable seats, safety

Suggested Improvements

the basic engine doesnt overtake very well Needs more power

96 Base Wagon - Great automobile
By DFH

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

We bought our wagon after it came off a three year lease. I insisted on a wagon over a sedan because I wanted the utility aspect of owning a wagon. We looked at SUV's and sedans but we prefered the ride and stability that the 850 wagon provided. This car has been very pleasant to own and drive. We have done nothing more than gas n drive this car between normal oil changes and regular sheduled maintenance.

Favorite Features

Highs- great brakes, excellent handling even when loaded, very comfortable seats and decent gas mileage. Lows- frequent brake pad and rotor replacement, costly scheduled maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Provide a standard in dash CD player on all Volvos

Sad car
By pickaxpete

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

I think this is the worst used car I have ever owned. After having the car inspected pre sale, all kinds of problems have cost me thousands and I have only driven it 3000 miles. From emission control problems to sensors to brakes this car continues to go bad. I spent over a thousand on emission repairs and hundreds more on brakes and recently the sensor that controls traction, ABS and cruise went bad. The dealer I am going to says that many of these problems are not common at my mileage of 100,000 but this car seems to have alot of problems. If you buy one, do it from a dealer and get a good, written warranty which includes passing state emission tests.

Favorite Features

The car is good ergonomically.

Suggested Improvements

Sell the Volvo Co.to Toyota or Honda so it will be more reliable.