1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By cking3177 on 06/20/08 16:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

When I purchased the Volvo in 1996, I had no idea that I'd still be driving it and loving it 12 years later. It is still very quiet and comfortable. I've never had any out-of-the ordinary repair issues. This is a great car!

At least it's safe
By Not pleased on 11/02/07 13:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car three months ago. In that time frame, the gas tank was replaced, the ABS failed, check engine light has been on twice, brake master cylinder has failed, FM radio died, and the catalytic converter failed. I love the interior, but the plastic on the doors seems to be falling apart. The car is slow and safe, but what would you expect from a Volvo? Needless to say, I won't buy another.

Solid & Reliable
By Brian on 05/08/05 23:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Solid, reliable car with no perks. It's never quit on me, but that darn check engine light has been on nearly the whole time I've had the car. Apparently I'm not the only one this happens to. Timeless, classic style holds up well, and the 10yr old interior still looks like new. Nice trunk space and good room for 4 Americans(I think you know what I mean). It's not called "The Brick" for nothing.

Safe, Reliable Car
By fusnyphi on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1996 and maintained regularly through the dealership until the warranty expired. Now serviced by a more trustworthy independent import repair shop. Save by buying parts online. A strong, solid, dependable car (150k miles). Excellent brakes, but rotors are not durable. No significant mechanical problems.

Got a good one
By T-luv on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in '99 with 57k on it. Now has 150k miles. Had all of the normal problems (brakes, cam sensors, squeaks in dash, bulb burnout, etc.) but these have all been relatively minor. I can never understand why folks take their cars to the dealers for service and get ripped off - find someone else! I fix most things myself so costs have been rather low. It's a solid car that we got for my wife to be safe in. Will probably sell it next year but overall it has been a decent car and we'll miss it. Probably the best student car out there (safe, durable, not too powerful).

Love My Volvo
By Huling on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Bought my Volvo at one year with 20,000 on it. Pure comfort and safety. Great heater seats in winter. Currently have 115,000 on her and expect to go another few years. No big problems, usual maintenence and tire replacement. Worry free car.

Need a Second Job Just to Keep Going
By Joe-Unhappy Owner on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

As with others, I have foudn this car a disappointment. It works very well, but I need to work two jobs to keep it in good working order. Also, quality of dealer servicing is variant. I had a dealer mess up a belt replacement, which caused engine failure on highway, destroying original engine. I have spent approx. $13K servicing this car since buying it new. I am looking for a new Japanese compact...

Ouch!
By mkirkland on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

I am a single mom with a three year old and know nothing about cars but sure am learning with this one! I have spent so much money on repairs I am told are normal. It is nickle and diming me to death. Love it for the safety and all, but come on - $600 here, $800 there. I'm going broke. It's cool looking but I think I'll go to something with lower repair costs.

good car
By chsmpsn on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

good reliable car to own

Expensive to Own, Expensive to Repair
By brokebyvolvo on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Has only 62000 miles, but AC cost $2200 to fix, including $1500 to replace an evaporator buried in the dashboard,& the ENTIRE dash must be removed to get to this part. Plus ABS sensor $600; new rotors, $1000; starter relay $200 motor mounts $350; rear stabilizer bar $500; power antenna $450. Add in $750 every 10,000 miles for required maintenance, & your insurance plus car payments are zilch compared to the special payments you have to make to a bank account dedicated solely to the 1996 Volvo 850 Repair Fund.