Used 1996 Volvo 850 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By cking3177

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

When I purchased the Volvo in 1996, I had no idea that I'd still be driving it and loving it 12 years later. It is still very quiet and comfortable. I've never had any out-of-the ordinary repair issues. This is a great car!

Roomy inside, like a larger luxury vehicle.

I've never quite adjusted to the view on the passenger's side in the front...as with parking, etc. Maybe it's just me.

At least it's safe
By Not pleased

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car three months ago. In that time frame, the gas tank was replaced, the ABS failed, check engine light has been on twice, brake master cylinder has failed, FM radio died, and the catalytic converter failed. I love the interior, but the plastic on the doors seems to be falling apart. The car is slow and safe, but what would you expect from a Volvo? Needless to say, I won't buy another.

Heated seats, dual zone climate control, heated mirrors.

How about building reliable cars?

Solid & Reliable
By Brian

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Solid, reliable car with no perks. It's never quit on me, but that darn check engine light has been on nearly the whole time I've had the car. Apparently I'm not the only one this happens to. Timeless, classic style holds up well, and the 10yr old interior still looks like new. Nice trunk space and good room for 4 Americans(I think you know what I mean). It's not called "The Brick" for nothing.

Simple, easy to use dashboard layout. Roomy trunk and cabin. Classic look still impressive when compared to new cars.

Vovo should really figure out how to control it's "Check Engine" lights and on board computers. They have a mind of their own and can cost you thousands, as mechanics search for the cause of repetitive problems.

Safe, Reliable Car
By fusnyphi

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1996 and maintained regularly through the dealership until the warranty expired. Now serviced by a more trustworthy independent import repair shop. Save by buying parts online. A strong, solid, dependable car (150k miles). Excellent brakes, but rotors are not durable. No significant mechanical problems.

seats, safety features, trunk space

better situated and stronger cupholders

Got a good one
By T-luv

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in '99 with 57k on it. Now has 150k miles. Had all of the normal problems (brakes, cam sensors, squeaks in dash, bulb burnout, etc.) but these have all been relatively minor. I can never understand why folks take their cars to the dealers for service and get ripped off - find someone else! I fix most things myself so costs have been rather low. It's a solid car that we got for my wife to be safe in. Will probably sell it next year but overall it has been a decent car and we'll miss it. Probably the best student car out there (safe, durable, not too powerful).

Safety. Seats are comfy. Easy to drive. Gas mileage of 24mpg. Mechanically it seems durable. Great in snow and heats up super quick - my wife loves that!

Squeaky dash. Source better interior light bulbs.