1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon Platinum Ed
By Pat Downey on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased our 850 Wagon off a three year lease. It currently has 80K. The car performs well, gets good gas mileage is very comfortable, and has been fairly reliable. Repairs include rear main seal and ABS control at 50K. Radio at 70K. Otherwise maintenance has been routine. Has had pinging noise which was explained as a relief valve on turbo since purchased. Interior plastic seems a bit cheap. Has squeaks and rattles.

Comfort, style and SAFE
By pnad on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Wagon

At 118000 miles, this car is in better condition than my 60k mile Ponitac GTP. Very comfortable to drive. Quiet and rattle free. Interior materials seem to be if good quality. This platinum edition car is LOADED. Heated leather seats are very nice on cold morning commutes. Not the fastest car on the road, but she is no slouch. The 220hp turbo 5cyl keeps you in the above average range. I love the styling of this car and it actually gets a bit of attention from other drivers. I like the peace of mind knowing I am driving what has to be the safest car on the road.

Wow!!! Is there anything better?
By Bill Boyd on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Wagon

OK, First if you are going to drive a car for 100K plus you are going to have to put a couple of bucks in it. As for me I purchaced a unit that was very well cared for and is a dream to drive. When people talk about the way it corners, they should be reminded it's a WAGON. For a wagon you will not find a more sound car. Clasic lines and more power than I ever could have dreamed of. Buy one of these gems!!!!!

Love affair is fading
By Jim Pribbeno on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Wagon

96 850 turbo is fun to drive with it’s sporty suspension, 16” low profile tires, & 222 HP performance. Unfortunately it’s also the most expensive Volvo we’ve owned (4 others) in terms of upkeep. Compared to our other Volvo, a 92 960 wagon, the 850 is a cash cow!!! I’ve put on new tires every 23k miles. I’ve replaced the transmission (dealer only repair, $2400) at 90k miles, why? A new air mass sensor unit ($250). I’ve refilled a/c several times because the evaporator leaks & costs over $1000 to replace. The TRAC & ABS lights are always on & the braking system occasionally freaks out requiring a new computer module costing over $300. Why?