Used 1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Great Car!!
By josh63

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 2 months ago. It had about 144,500 miles on it when I got it. I just hit 150,000 today! I have to say the one downfall of this vehicle is the gas mileage I average 26mpgs. I willl say in the short time that I have owned this car I have been pleased, I commute about 1.5 hours to and from school so its holding up to about 150 miles a day, which is very good for a car of its age. The interior is very comfortable, and very well designed, my driver seat heater quit working, that is the only downfall I have seen on the inside. The car also handles very well in the rain, I hate to say it but I almost enjoy driving in the rain now!! When this one dies I WILL have another one!

I love the way that the front seat are designed they are very comfortable, especially for a commuter like my self. I also like the premium sound system that came with it, one of my speakers needs replacing but other than that its great.

There are a few blindspots in the back, which makes switching lanes and backing up a little more complicated, but nothing a few stick on convex mirrors wont fix.

Volvo For Life
By Flash Turner

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

Volvo got it right when they built the 1996 volvo 850 turbo platium edition. Comfort, reliability, safety and passenger experience are all awesome. The engine is so good that Volvo is putting it in its new 2008 C30--rock-solid engineering. Don't know why Volvo didn't put the T-5 (with 218 horses) in the S80 or why didn't they put the R S-60 engine in the S80. All I know is when Volvo built the 850 Turbo they built a legend. The 1996 850 R are still selling for a lot of money.

styling, build quality, awesome engine. I love the 1996 850 turbo so much I think I'm going to have an affair with the automobile.

Compass and get rid of the antenna

Excellent Machine - But Rattles
By TJG

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

We really like this car. Speed. comfort. Reliability (exepct electrical, and ABS computer @ $850). But the dash has a rattle that absolutely drives you crazy. Two dealers couldn't find it.

At 140 mph . . .
By Bogus Skier

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

The Turbo can achieve that speed but it sounds and feels like it's in a hurricane. Bought new. Few problems: 2 batteries, some nuisance rattles. Smokes up mountain roads. New higher profile tires: handling and ride improved. Wt. distribution compromises handling. Steering heavy - requires firm, deliberate input; precise road sense in return but over- steer prone. Seating comfort is remarkable. Repair/routine maintenance myself so expenses minimal. Replacing pads at 45K without the need for rotors. Unused extended warty. Leather durable and wearing exceptionally well. Unless it begins to fall apart, will keep it around for another 5 to 8 yrs.

Hood opens to perpendicular!! Apparent durability; power; comfort; snow and ice performance with studs; stereo; seat heaters; trunk space; color and looks. Rubber floormats and trunk liner are superb accessories.

Cockpit layout was ill-conceived. Should have avoided low-profile tires. Needs hooks (for groceries)in trunk.

Happy Driver
By Happy Driver

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

This has been an incredible car to drive. Fun, fast and great handling...who would of thought that Volvo could produce a "sporty" car. Two thumbs up for this car, i got an awesome deal...only cost me 8,000. I had someone offer me 12,000 the day after i bought it. Great ride, love it!!!

comfy heated seats and 17" crome wheels