Used 1996 Volvo 850 GLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Not A Good Idea
By kittycrabbs

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

People like to say Ford screwed up Volvo, but the 850 was made long before Ford took over and it's a dog. Constant front alignment problems, tire wear, abs problems, shifter wouldn't move, glove box decided not to open. I got rid of the car when the seat belt wouldn't pull away from the door post- wanted $650 to fix it. Never left me stranded, but the smallest repair job cost a fortune. I thought I'd have it a lot longer than 130k miles.

Favorite Features

The seats. So comfortable I wish I could have taken out and put them in my new car. High quality interior and paint.

Suggested Improvements

discontinued

non turbo wagon
By off road monster

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I had it for about two years and so far, i had to replace the header, the catalytic converter twice, O2 sensor, the starter, a CV axle and a head lamp wiper motor. It is a some-what easy car to work on and I would be willing to try my luck with another in the future.

Favorite Features

engine wont quit

Suggested Improvements

all volvo's should have turbos :-p

Keep on runnin'
By Lifer

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Original owner, car has 160k miles. Solid reliable comfortable car. A/C is somewhat weak, have had some issue with the front end alignment. MPG overall is around 21. Plenty of cargo space, with fold down seats and roof rack, I carry all I need. After 12 years, this car runs like it did when new. Engine performance is sound, and the 168 hp five cylinder engine is very reliable. I hope to keep this car for life.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and mirrors, solid feel, interior space.

Upon further review...
By New Dad

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Originally submitted review of this car after 2 months of ownership. In one year I've gone thorugh: brakes - 4 rotors, 3 sets of pads and 2 calipers; engine - 2 air mass meters, a set of plugs, wires, rotor, and distributor; gas - approximately the pre-war output of Iraq. When it works, it's the greatest car I've ever owned, but the brakes are a nightmare, and it is just too heavy - killing mileage, brakes, tires, etc.

Favorite Features

Automatic, thermostat-controlled, dual- zone climate control; God-knows-how- many speaker premium stereo; heated leather seats; 160+lbft of torque

Suggested Improvements

850 is now S/V70. My mechanic says all these problems persist - brakes, A/C, ignition system. Whatever you do, don't spend the $ on new Michelins to replace your OE Michelins. Buy Kumho Ecsta HP or Falken Ziex. You No need for "V" rated tires on a non-turbo car, nor to pay $104 per tire.

Volvo Victim
By Mike

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Like the safety, reliability and flexibility of the wagon. Have had no problems with the engine. Within the past year have had to replace oxygen sensor, ABS module, PCV valve, radiator, etc. Maintained normal maintenance schedule throughout ownership. Has 134,000 miles, but parts and service are very expensive to maintain the vehicle. Am in the process of selling due to that fact.

Favorite Features

Safety, solid car. Excellent in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Change rotors so don't have to replace each time new brakes.