1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Not A Good Idea
By kittycrabbs on 01/17/10 13:00 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

People like to say Ford screwed up Volvo, but the 850 was made long before Ford took over and it's a dog. Constant front alignment problems, tire wear, abs problems, shifter wouldn't move, glove box decided not to open. I got rid of the car when the seat belt wouldn't pull away from the door post- wanted $650 to fix it. Never left me stranded, but the smallest repair job cost a fortune. I thought I'd have it a lot longer than 130k miles.

non turbo wagon
By off road monster on 03/18/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I had it for about two years and so far, i had to replace the header, the catalytic converter twice, O2 sensor, the starter, a CV axle and a head lamp wiper motor. It is a some-what easy car to work on and I would be willing to try my luck with another in the future.

Keep on runnin'
By Lifer on 08/30/08 19:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Original owner, car has 160k miles. Solid reliable comfortable car. A/C is somewhat weak, have had some issue with the front end alignment. MPG overall is around 21. Plenty of cargo space, with fold down seats and roof rack, I carry all I need. After 12 years, this car runs like it did when new. Engine performance is sound, and the 168 hp five cylinder engine is very reliable. I hope to keep this car for life.

Upon further review...
By New Dad on 05/02/05 15:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Originally submitted review of this car after 2 months of ownership. In one year I've gone thorugh: brakes - 4 rotors, 3 sets of pads and 2 calipers; engine - 2 air mass meters, a set of plugs, wires, rotor, and distributor; gas - approximately the pre-war output of Iraq. When it works, it's the greatest car I've ever owned, but the brakes are a nightmare, and it is just too heavy - killing mileage, brakes, tires, etc.

Volvo Victim
By Mike on 02/02/05 17:36 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Like the safety, reliability and flexibility of the wagon. Have had no problems with the engine. Within the past year have had to replace oxygen sensor, ABS module, PCV valve, radiator, etc. Maintained normal maintenance schedule throughout ownership. Has 134,000 miles, but parts and service are very expensive to maintain the vehicle. Am in the process of selling due to that fact.

850 Wagon
By Believer on 12/25/04 21:26 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Bought for my 17 yr old son after research on safety in an accident. NO REGRETS.My 17 yr old fell asleep mid day on cruise control at 65mph and had a head on collision into corner of a trailer parked in the brkdown lane. Car totalled, but a miracle he walked out without a scratch. Only bruises from seat belt. If he wasn't in a Volvo, he would not have been here for this Christmas.Praise the Lord for providing the Volvo.Just bought another for my son.

Just barely broken in
By New Dad on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I purchased this pre-owned 850 GLT Wagon only 1 month ago, but the quality is already obvious. It had just passed the century mark (100K mi.). The feel is solid. Road / wind / engine noise is nearly non-existent. Every feature still works perfectly except the remote for the remote entry (which may just need programming). Acceleration is subtle and effortless. Shifting in the automatic transmission is smooth but solid. Maneuverability is impressive for a mid- size wagon. Fit and finish are STILL far superior to any other car I've owned (including a 1979 Volvo 262C Bertone).

Worst car I've ever owned
By Unhappy in NJ on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

We bought this car originally because of its safety and reliability ratings. I still feel safe in it, but it's been one headache after another: little things at first, but then a $1,400 A/C repair at 45,000 miles, numerous electrical system issues, and today, at 91,000 miles, I'm told a rod in the engine has been thrown. Unreal...this in a car that was meticulously maintained. I'd never by another Volvo.

Reliable Workhorse
By DETIGEL on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Great car and relatively inexpensive (for us) in upkeep, except for scheduled maintenance -all at dealer- we have had no problems. We do use summer and winter tires, car does not handle that great in the winter (however probably not worse than other front wheel drives.

Great Value
By Mr Oswald on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Excellent value, bought privately two years ago, holding value very well....some dealers can really hose you, had real RIP-OFF experience with one, absolutely excellent with another. Any problems are well known, easily fixed, and non-recurring, Eg: ABS/TRACs light on is simple $45 electrical ignition switch fix, air pump should be $200 fix IF dealer replaces air check valve. Basic parts are available over internet from ipd and others at 30- 60% off of Volvo Dealer prices. Currently 120K miles, feels strong and smooth.