1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
great performer overall
By jsrobinow on 06/13/12 10:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

We have owned this car since new, now in the family 16 years. Has been very reliable comfortable and versatile. Manual gear box makes it fun to drive. Station wagon configuration makes as useful as any large SUV with vastly better gas mileage and nicer road handling. Odometer gear failed and I replaced the gear with an e bay source that included instructions on installation. ABS module failed and internet lead me to a place to buy a rebuilt one and installed it myself. These are two classic weak spots of this car that are easily fixed by the owner. Fuel pump did fail and was replaced. We now have 181K on odometer. Still running well. This model supports the legendary Volvo value

Great fun and reliable car to drive!
By loveswedcars25 on 04/22/12 14:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my car a year ago from one of my brothers friends. It had been sitting in his garage barely used and barely ran. When I got it, it had 140,000 miles on it, now the odometer reads 150,800 miles. I haven't had any real problem with it. Except for a fuel filter going out, but that's a cheap fix. It has always ran strong and never left me completely stranded on the side of the road. The interior is great, very roomy and comfortable. The engine is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going. And the fact that the car come stock with a underbelly cover makes driving on rocky roads way less worry-some. When this car dies, if it ever does, I will own another Volvo!

First Car, But not the last Volvo!
By swedish_love on 03/28/12 17:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96' 850 in 2009, as my first car, with 112k miles on it. Other than a few select electrical & accessory issues (radio, sunroof, bulbs), and irksome mechanical issues (ac compressor failure) this car has been a complete joy to own. Without a doubt the most comfortable car I've had the pleasure of driving. Smooth, quiet and the exhaust note is quite soothing. Engine reliability has been flawless. I can't say enough great things about this car, just make sure to keep a few extra bucks socked away for maintenance.

Great Car!!
By josh63 on 11/04/11 20:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 2 months ago. It had about 144,500 miles on it when I got it. I just hit 150,000 today! I have to say the one downfall of this vehicle is the gas mileage I average 26mpgs. I willl say in the short time that I have owned this car I have been pleased, I commute about 1.5 hours to and from school so its holding up to about 150 miles a day, which is very good for a car of its age. The interior is very comfortable, and very well designed, my driver seat heater quit working, that is the only downfall I have seen on the inside. The car also handles very well in the rain, I hate to say it but I almost enjoy driving in the rain now!! When this one dies I WILL have another one!

Amazing Friend over the years...
By vgirl on 03/06/11 08:57 AM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of my 1996 850 Turbo Sedan. The odometer stopped about 3 or 4 years ago at 194,000 and we guess it has about 250,000 miles on it. I haven't had to do much to the engine over the years--or anything else for that matter. It does leak oil now, but after so many years I can afford a little oil now and then to keep the girl happy. Would love to buy another one when she finally quits. Not sure when that will be....it will be a sad day for sure!

the ultimate sleeper
By volvoville on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought mine from a coworker 2 years ago with 137000 miles on it..after tune up, replacing oil trap and new set of tires, now i own extremely reliable and fun car to drive..never gave me any problems, and i run 13 pounds of boost all day long via mbc..very fast..

a truly great car and hard worker
By krizy1 on 04/07/10 10:59 AM (PDT)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

i bought my volvo from a friend of mine.. he had neglected to car somewhat,so i had to do a few maintenance things. this car is easy to work on,parts for the most part are inexpensive. although there are a few things i wouldn't fix myself. over cheap to up keep.. fun as hell to drive.,flip it into sport mode and away you..,it's fast,.,responsive,over engineered.the only complaint would be gas mileage in the city.,but still not awful.. just could be better.. i love my volvo.

What a sleeper
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 01/20/10 22:22 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon

We have a 850R wagon with automatic. When I put my 850 in sport mode, the computer lets the engine rev and the turbo give more boost. I don't want to admit it, but this little red wagon will beat my 2003 Porsche Boxster. The turbo power keeps pushing and the engine is a tiny 2.3l inline 5. I laugh as I pull away from cars - those Mustang GT's don't have great takeoff. The suede/leather seats are very comfortable and the heat is nice. Of course the safety aspect is tops for Volvo. Handling is good. Brakes are solid. Reliability is good for a European car. We've had the odo, radiator, ash tray, mass airflow sensor go out. The rear view mirror shook loose and was put back on.

Not A Good Idea
By kittycrabbs on 01/17/10 13:00 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

People like to say Ford screwed up Volvo, but the 850 was made long before Ford took over and it's a dog. Constant front alignment problems, tire wear, abs problems, shifter wouldn't move, glove box decided not to open. I got rid of the car when the seat belt wouldn't pull away from the door post- wanted $650 to fix it. Never left me stranded, but the smallest repair job cost a fortune. I thought I'd have it a lot longer than 130k miles.

Impressively quick
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 11/30/09 21:54 PM (PST)

1996 Volvo 850 R Turbo 4dr Wagon

Our Volvo 850R wagon was suppose to be a Home Depot weekend hauler and occasional camping car. Then I discovered the economy/power button! Wow! This car really moves. The economy mode allows the transmission to shift at lower rpms and less boost. The power mode lets this wonderful little engine roar! Turbo boost up, rpms up - right in the power band! If the numbers are correct, this car will beat my Boxster. After feeling the boost, I believe it will walk away from my Boxster up to 80mph. The seats are also very comfortable, the car has nice features and it sure is fun to drive. The suspension is okay at best. Overall a very impressive little box.