Used 1996 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

1996 Volvo 850 sw 5 speed manual
By mec12

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

As of 11/13/2014 car has 213,888 miles. Recently replaced ABS/Traction control module myself. Recently had driver's seat reupholstered. Overall car has been reliable. Since I am 6'0", the excellent headroom and speed control has made long distance driving a joy. I use semi synthetic 10W-30 motor oil to reduce or minimize oil consumption. No oil leaks. Car has original engine, original transmission. Would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone. Plan on keeping the car until a minimum of 300,000 miles.

great performer overall
By jsrobinow

1996 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

We have owned this car since new, now in the family 16 years. Has been very reliable comfortable and versatile. Manual gear box makes it fun to drive. Station wagon configuration makes as useful as any large SUV with vastly better gas mileage and nicer road handling. Odometer gear failed and I replaced the gear with an e bay source that included instructions on installation. ABS module failed and internet lead me to a place to buy a rebuilt one and installed it myself. These are two classic weak spots of this car that are easily fixed by the owner. Fuel pump did fail and was replaced. We now have 181K on odometer. Still running well. This model supports the legendary Volvo value

Favorite Features

Versatility, well designed very comfortable seats, easy to maintain with minimal support from dealer or mechanic. material quality of both exterior and interior of the car. ageless appearance

Suggested Improvements

Better designed abs module, eliminate the silly headlight wipers that fell apart years ago.

Great fun and reliable car to drive!
By loveswedcars25

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my car a year ago from one of my brothers friends. It had been sitting in his garage barely used and barely ran. When I got it, it had 140,000 miles on it, now the odometer reads 150,800 miles. I haven't had any real problem with it. Except for a fuel filter going out, but that's a cheap fix. It has always ran strong and never left me completely stranded on the side of the road. The interior is great, very roomy and comfortable. The engine is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going. And the fact that the car come stock with a underbelly cover makes driving on rocky roads way less worry-some. When this car dies, if it ever does, I will own another Volvo!

Favorite Features

Engine, Interior, placement of window, lock, and sunroof controls.

Suggested Improvements

Button to engage full-time AWD.

First Car, But not the last Volvo!
By swedish_love

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96' 850 in 2009, as my first car, with 112k miles on it. Other than a few select electrical & accessory issues (radio, sunroof, bulbs), and irksome mechanical issues (ac compressor failure) this car has been a complete joy to own. Without a doubt the most comfortable car I've had the pleasure of driving. Smooth, quiet and the exhaust note is quite soothing. Engine reliability has been flawless. I can't say enough great things about this car, just make sure to keep a few extra bucks socked away for maintenance.

Great Car!!
By josh63

1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Limited Edition Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 2 months ago. It had about 144,500 miles on it when I got it. I just hit 150,000 today! I have to say the one downfall of this vehicle is the gas mileage I average 26mpgs. I willl say in the short time that I have owned this car I have been pleased, I commute about 1.5 hours to and from school so its holding up to about 150 miles a day, which is very good for a car of its age. The interior is very comfortable, and very well designed, my driver seat heater quit working, that is the only downfall I have seen on the inside. The car also handles very well in the rain, I hate to say it but I almost enjoy driving in the rain now!! When this one dies I WILL have another one!

Favorite Features

I love the way that the front seat are designed they are very comfortable, especially for a commuter like my self. I also like the premium sound system that came with it, one of my speakers needs replacing but other than that its great.

Suggested Improvements

There are a few blindspots in the back, which makes switching lanes and backing up a little more complicated, but nothing a few stick on convex mirrors wont fix.