safe, reliable, and fun, but pricy
By Andrew on
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan
I bought this car used three years ago and thoroughly love driving it... until I have to pay for the service bill. The car is not too fast off the line and there is noticeable turbo lag on acceleration, but it has serious high-end power. Going 40-90mph...er it is fast. It also handles wonderfully in the snow and rain. I live in Michigan and it cruises right past all of those massive 4wd SUVs in the ditch. Even as aggressively as I drive, highway gas mileage is 30-32. (20-22 in the city). Maintenance is fairly simple, but parts are a little on the pricy side. I've had to do only standard stuff (brakes, shocks, wipers, etc.) and it costs 10% more than the same work on a more common car.
Favorite Features
I love that it has 180,000+ miles and it can still roll. Rock-solid construction shows no rust and feels safe.
Suggested Improvements
Parts are pricier than a ford/gm/toyota. Ride is stiff - more sporty than luxury. Lastly, it sits quite low to the ground- my father has trouble getting in/out after a hip surgery. as others have said, cupholder sizes and placements are poor.