Speedy Masochist, Inexpensive Oldy
By mattmyth1 on
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon
I bought a 95 Turbo wagon 14 months ago. It had been loved by 2 owners, 220,000 miles. Finding it was not easy. I looked at 6 different wagons before I found my car. Luckily, I met a local mechanic/enthusiast in LA, twice I was close to buying but hired him to inspect the vehicles which I highly recommend. Both times I avoided buying pieces of junk from liars. Do your research, know the common problems. I bought the car and restored the interior for next to nothing thanks to all of the junkyards in the area. Also had the engine restored and swapped my auto trans for a manual. The car is amazing for what I paid. I purchased a tune, and the car is so viscous, a blast to drive.
Favorite Features
Turbo, manual trans, spacious cushy road trip wagon. Durable, I drive it very hard and it takes it all. I blast the engine to red line, it's tough. An impressive engine, great car for the price.
Suggested Improvements
The dashboard. Was very noisy, read forums for suggestions and strategies to reduce rattling. Know that if you buy this car, you will need a trustworthy mechanic at your disposal unless you are willing to learn to work on them yourself. This is a great car for novices to work on, but you will need a stocked local junkyard at your disposal.