1995 Volvo 850 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
A Classic Volvo
By Alex on 04/25/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

We bought the car after our second child was born in 1994. Only problems have been the air conditioning, as well as some more minor engine parts. Everything else is great, very safe and solid!

Great Car for College Students
By Kate on 03/22/08 20:44 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my car with 105,000 miles on it as the fourth owner. I had it for a year. It was awesome as a college student to be able to haul around my friends and my stuff. However, previous owners had not cared for the car properly and I ended up with a blown piston ring after a year of ownership. That pretty much totaled the car ($3k of repairs for a $3k car) unfortunately. However, I bought a used 2002 XC70 because I loved my 850 so much. It was taken on several car trips (camping, skiing and paintball) and performed well in all areas. I wish I could have bought another. Be aware when buying used- if the person before you hasn't done the maintenance, the car will fail.

A wonderful car
By nelhig on 11/04/07 12:09 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I'm very attached to my 850 Volvo wagon. I've had it almost 13 yrs. and it's been the most maintenance free vehicle I've ever owned. The engine is a gem. The interior trim falls apart over years, especially the outside trim. I stopped replacing it. Also, the hatch door trim inside has fallen apart and now rattles. The leather seats have torn, but that's because it lives outside. Sometimes I miss AWD and feel like my Volvo is a tank when it starts to slide, but because it is a tank I feel safe. It's been a reliable car as a single mom of two children. The only major complaint I have now is the driver seat has become very uncomfortable and my back hurts after just short drives.

Wish I could keep her till she dies
By Vince on 05/01/07 10:03 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Wow! I've owned that car for over a month, and besides an oxygen sensor and a tune-up, she hasn't cost me a penny. Well, since she's 12 years old, normal wear and tear is visible - those leather seats seem to tear apart in all 10+ years old 850s. And the tailgate struts have to be replaced, but that's stuff that even a tool-challenged person like me can handle. They have made a car whose mechanical components are built to withstand the passage of time! Excellent buy for whoever needs a reliable used car, for below $4000.

Nice Used Car
By Tedbo on 04/15/07 19:00 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Nice dependable car which had some miles on her when purchased. Depending on how well the car is maintained you may have to invest in some costly maintenance. Be sure that you check the shocks/struts, last timing belt change, horn (ours became stuck just as we were picking our daughter up from middle school, she was quite embarassed) and the door hinges. A test drive on a hot day is recommended so that you can put the air-conditioning system through its paces. History of problems. Car is solid, however be prepared for plenty of rattles from the rear compartment/hatch. There are kits available which can help reduce the noise levels. Would still recommend and would buy another.

Good Sportwagon
By cmt28 on 01/24/07 12:58 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

Great Car. Have had since new, no leaks, tight, going strong..... onward to 300K. Fun to drive.

awesome swedish luxury wagon
By Sandra on 09/24/06 14:17 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

this car is beautiful. runs like a beast. i have 122,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. volvo's are known to make it to the million mile mark. never had any problems with it, just the normal wear and tear all cars get when over 100,000 miles. excellent car in the snow when equipped with winter package. feel very safe in this car. it is very good at catching speed. love the factory premium sound system. to sum it all up everything about this car is excellent!

Volvo Quality At It's Best!
By J Davis on 08/04/06 09:48 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

In 11 yrs I have loved every minute of owning this car. For its dependability, safety and confidence it has ensured me. "Once a Volvo Owner, Always a Volvo Owner!!!"

Not a bad car
By eraumatt on 12/29/05 10:22 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

I received this car from my parents when they got another car. They bought it new from a dealer in 1995. It has never failed to start on me. Recently, I replaced the starter because it was going, and it would take 3-4 cranks to get it to turn, but it always started. The electric seat modules are busted, and do not work. I'm sure it would be an easy aftermarket fix. The heated seats also no longer work. Mechanically, there is a slight oil leak coming from the bottom of the engine, but no one can figure it out. I drove from Florida to New Mexico with ZERO oil, because the Oil Lube station in FL didn't secure the oil pan cap, however the car is still running 1 year later, with no problems.

Nice outlook, horrible mechanic
By Samson Wong on 10/20/05 13:11 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This yr, 2005, i spent over $5000 to fix the car timing belt, tires, electronics, pipe...you name it. Although it is very comfortable and fun to drive, i will NEVER buy another volvo....super expensive to keep.