Used 1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

The Volvo 850 is the Best Car ever owned
By Deb A

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 850 has 220,000 miles as of Dec. 2009. Bought used in 1995 with 13,000 miles. In the 14 years I have owned this 850, I have only replaced the struts, shocks, stereo, and heating coil. I live in Colorado and commute an average of 105 miles daily. With snow tires she handles beautifully in winter. I also perform regular maintenance like clock work. After all these years...she is still running strong and still looks beautiful. Without a doubt, she is the best car by all accounts.

Move window switches are directly under cup holder in center console.

I still love it!
By Linda

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for almost 10 years. It runs perfectly and has not had any major problems. I stay current with maintenance schedule recommended by dealer.

It runs perfectly and the handling is great.

The window and rear view buttons are in the console and difficult to reach sometimes.

Great car for the money
By David

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car as second owner for my mom who was 74. Had two minor little problems but has been a real gem. Just keep ahead of the maintenance.

Interior trim and design. And also the way the car is put together, makes it easy to work on.

Make it a little heavier.

safe, reliable, and fun, but pricy
By Andrew

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used three years ago and thoroughly love driving it... until I have to pay for the service bill. The car is not too fast off the line and there is noticeable turbo lag on acceleration, but it has serious high-end power. Going 40-90mph...er it is fast. It also handles wonderfully in the snow and rain. I live in Michigan and it cruises right past all of those massive 4wd SUVs in the ditch. Even as aggressively as I drive, highway gas mileage is 30-32. (20-22 in the city). Maintenance is fairly simple, but parts are a little on the pricy side. I've had to do only standard stuff (brakes, shocks, wipers, etc.) and it costs 10% more than the same work on a more common car.

I love that it has 180,000+ miles and it can still roll. Rock-solid construction shows no rust and feels safe.

Parts are pricier than a ford/gm/toyota. Ride is stiff - more sporty than luxury. Lastly, it sits quite low to the ground- my father has trouble getting in/out after a hip surgery. as others have said, cupholder sizes and placements are poor.

Pretty Good Car
By Delton Adams Jr.

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is pretty decent. It is incredibly fun to drive on the highway because of the turbo engine. It has an enormous trunk which is a bonus. However, when i purchased it in November of 2008, I had to replace the odometer, engine mount, battery, front sway bar link arms, and strut mounts. Overall this is a good (not great) car for someone who would like to drive a pretty reliable carfor under $4,000.00

Moonroof, Turbo engine, Leather seats, Power everything, Great trunk space, Boxed design

Better fuel economy (19-21mpg), Cup holders, Stereo system, Odometer,Dashboard quality, Does not handle quick bursts without shifting slightly