1995 Volvo 850 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Best car i have ever owned
By Volvo420 on 04/02/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned it handles great the turbo leaves everyone on freeway not a good dragster tho. Very expensive to repair. 1100$ to rebuild turbo but soooo worth it, no Honda or Mitsubishi or most BMWs can catch me on the highway but

1995 Volvo 850 Base 4dr
By MotorStreet on 03/09/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

What Volvo achieved with the 850 is amazing. The 850 was the first front wheel drive car actually built and designed by Volvo. Before the 850 Volvo only made heavy rear wheel drive tanks like the 240. At the time the class benchmark was the BMW 3-Series, but when the 850 came along it was bigger, safer, and better to drive than the BMW. The 850 feels nimble and the 5 cylinder engine is responsive and suprisingly quick. The 850 also got high crash test ratings. One of the nicest things about the 850 is its seats, which are some of the most car comfortable I've ever used. The only problem we've experienced in 14 years is a broken fuse that made the dashboard lights quit working. A great car.

Rock Solid
By Sal on 01/05/09 10:36 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1995 and drove it for many years before passing it on to my kids. It is a great car for new drivers - not too much horsepower (non-turbo), 4 airbags (first car to have side airbags back in '95, and built like a tank. Tranny went at 120K which was an expensive repair ($2500), but has been very reliable otherwise. Great car if you can find one that has been properly maintained. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, there are great web resources available to help you with troubleshooting.

My First Foreign Car!
By New Volvo Lover on 07/11/08 09:58 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 850 used in October 07. I had never had a foreign car before. My friend and his family swear by Volvo, so I was a least somewhat familiar with them. Considering I only had $4000 to spend, I think this is easily the best car I could have bought for the money. I've had a couple of bulbs burn out and the odometer gear broke, but that is a known issue and not a big deal if you are handy. This are geat cars, but I can't emphasize this enough... do the maintenance! You really cannot let stuff go on these, but if you take good care of them they will last a very, very long time! I see no reason I won't hit 300k with this car.

Overall a pretty good car.
By Jordan V. on 05/09/08 09:49 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I rather like my 850. It's fun to drive, and I like smoking those Civic drivers who act like they've got a V8 under their hood. The 850 handles well for such a big and heavy vehicle, acceleration is nice thanks to the turbo, and it even gets respectable mileage if you're easy on the gas. Some of the controls are in awkward positions, but you get used to it. Interior quality could be better, though. The only real complaint is that this car has lots of system hiccups. The engine and transmission are sturdy, but some other systems (AC in particular) and parts are unreliable, and are very expensive to fix when they break. Overall, not a bad ride. Take care of it and it will run forever.

Great used car if maintained
By Chad on 05/06/08 21:12 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

229,000 miles, runs and drives like new still. Very well maintained from previous owner. Interior and exterior still look new. Just make sure that the car has had proper maintenance or you may be in for big dollars repairs. It is not a problem for me since I repair cars for a living. My a/c even blows cold and from what I have read that is rare.

Worth the Expense
By Frank on 02/13/08 14:03 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love my Volvo. It has over 208,000 miles on it and it still runs strong! If you keep up the maintenance they will last forever. Sure, the repairs can be a little costly but your driving a unequaled car - not to mention one of the safest (my family is worth it).

High Maintenance Baby
By Totto on 07/25/07 09:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Have loved my 850T. Rides good, fast acceleration at hwy entry and exits. Has been a solid and fun to drive car. But very high maintenance, sensitive and has been problematic with things that rarely break on other cars. At 135K miles, I have had to replace the normal wear and tear items like belts, batteries and hoses but have had interior trim crack. Door panel cover fell off, sun roof top cover peeled off, cup holders broke, cassette had to be replaced and both over heat and distort tape sound, rear speakers are shot, lights burn out quickly. The suspension and ride are bumpy now and have had ongoing problems with oxygen sensor, oil leaks, coolant leaks, turbo hose and turbo line. Costly!

My 850 Volvo ride
By Danas200 on 03/30/07 21:05 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1995 Volvo 850 for almost a year and have come to love it. It's not the best car when it comes to things not breaking, but what a wonderful ride. It's great to look at, very comfortable inside and on the open road. I would be careful with the problem with prepare costs, as then can really get you alive. I'm lucky I found a young Volvo mechanic who's very trustworthy.

Great Basic Car
By Jon Lilienfeld on 02/28/07 14:37 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Currently at 197,000 miles. No major repairs at all. Do your preventive maintenance and it will last forever. A few little repairs, but what the heck. Handling positive & sure.