Used 1995 Volvo 850 T5R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Performance and reliability
By Richard Hendesron

1995 Volvo 850 T5R T5R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought my t5-r in a snow storm . The seller sold it to me dirt cheap (only $1500). I've added suspension springs and sway bars. I've also upgraded the ecu and exhaust and turbo. This car eats up r/t chargers and most f-bodied V-8 GM cars. Very roomy but it drives so solid. I never expected this out of a Volvo. Fuel economy is good but not o.k. Pretty easy to work on if your not afraid to d.i.y. And to top it all off its a rare car. I love the feeling of smoking a STI or charger and the look on the faces. Yeah, you just got torched by a Volvo.

Favorite Features

T-5 turbo engine. Overall vehicle dynamics. Ease of maintenance. Room of the interior.

Suggested Improvements

If your a speed nut, then by all means upgrade the turbo and exhaust. There is a lot of power that can come from the e.c.u. too. Tires and springs and shocks, and way bars can also be upgraded.

Would do it again!
By canam77

1995 Volvo 850 T5R T5R Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a non-running, unmaintained piece of crap basically, after investing over $8k into it I can say its still not perfect but whatever. It's a 1995 Yellow, one of 185 made. At this point it is my favorite car ever (replacing a 96 850R, with half the mileage, and half the problems but oh well, I dont care like I said its a Yellow T-5R whatever it takes I feel i finally have the dream car I had always wanted since I was 10 and my brother borrowed one from the dealer he worked at back in 95).

Favorite Features

240hp 2.3 inline five, suede/leather interior and it's yellow.

Suggested Improvements

Car should have come from the factory with the m56 manual transmission, saving me the aggravation of finding all the components to convert it.

Hidden gem
By IJT

1995 Volvo 850 T5R T5R Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought it in 2005 with 102k miles, and it was by far the best car I could imagine getting for the money I spent. The interior is spacious and comfortable, with many amenities like wood trim, CD changer and dual zone climate control that aren't available on many newer cars costing twice as much. The powerful turbo engine was a blast to drive, and it could still outrun the majority of cars on the road today. The engine had some oil leaks when I bought it, but after fixing the leaks the car had no major reliability issues.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, leather heated seats, CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

The car should have had AWD standard to fully utilize the engine power and for better weight balance.

A true classic
By topht_bb

1995 Volvo 850 T5R T5R Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought one with 100k in jan '06 and it still drives like a baby i compared it to a 02 impala (3.8 engine) with the same mileage and the ride was much smoother. it sits better on the road better pickup a true classic.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine great shocks acceleration

excellent
By eddie guerrero

1995 Volvo 850 T5R T5R Turbo 4dr Wagon

I drove it without radiator coolant for a month until i finally replaced it!

Favorite Features

the engine.

Suggested Improvements

more horse power.