Used 1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Love my Volvo
By a_childs

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

My Volvo 850 has been a very good first car. It is very comfy, has a really long features list for a car of its age. Love the sound of the inline 5. Has a good amount of power for the non turbo (168hp) I have had the car a little while and the only maintenance that it has needed was the rear brakes needed replacing. I've been getting above average fuel consumption, it's rated at 19 city/ 26 highway and I've been getting 26+ mixed driving. Would love to upgrade to a T-5R or a S70 T5

Love it or Hate it
By kajajessica

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my daughter about a year ago. I bought it from a private owner who had it for about 10 years. I took it to my mechanic he told me the car was in sound condition. All it needs mechanically is a tune up and redo the front suspension. My wife has always loved Volvos, she is on her third XC90. My daughter likes the look of 1995 850 turbo. We bought it for $1900 put another $750 into it as of right now it is a fun reliable car to drive.

The turbo model really helps this car move and its low stance looks great.

This car is a hit/miss
By nprax

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

When I was 16 my parents gave me $3000 and told me to get a car. Cant say I had alot of choices, and I ended up buying a bone stock 1995 red 850 sedan. This car is difficult to describe... you WILL love it for its highs; the durability, the cool-nerd styling, the suspension roomy interior and resonable value. The downs are pretty much like other european cars; expensive to maintain, reliability is iffy, but mine never left me stranded. Through the time I had it, i replaced countless hoses, the gas tank, seat belt mechanisms, electric systems, you name it. But even now with a brand new Dodge Challenger, I think about my volvo, and miss it. And thats what makes this car great.

Nice ride; yet great in corners, the body is a tank, can haul friends/ family and then some, unique styling like no other car, the lights are AMAZING (owners will get it lol)

Find a decent Volvo mechanic, your going to need him. Interior pieces pretty much disentigrate at this age. Non-turbo motor is underpowered in todays age, especially considering you'll only get 19-22 on the highway... and there will ALWAYS be some sort of warning light on your dashboard (I lived with it)

I own 1995 volvo 850 GLT
By nmccardle

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car from Ebay auction for very good price and this car is my first car since 2008. I ran into a lot of problems after 5 years later. oil milage tube leak, shifting gear problem, tramission fluid leak, and so on you name it. but it is going alive. it now 138,000 miles on it. it still alive today.

my favorite seat warmer.

increase gas tank mileage and have car inspected more than just 5 years.

Great Car, Few minor tweaks
By Clay

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This volvo is my second car to own. Previously I had a unreliable Accord. My volvo is great, the turbo is a lot of fun, the stereo is great, performance is great. IT's a quite but fast car. My only issue is when you need a new part it's very pricy. Used turbo costs about 1,200 for full installation. I love this car.

Turbo... This car has a lot of different aspects from other cars. The door handles are unique, and the window and mirror controls are in the center. It's a neat design.

CUP HOLDERS... They are in a terrible place and can't even fit a 20oz in it. over all a great buy.