1995 Volvo 850 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Love my Volvo
By a_childs on 05/06/14 21:23 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

My Volvo 850 has been a very good first car. It is very comfy, has a really long features list for a car of its age. Love the sound of the inline 5. Has a good amount of power for the non turbo (168hp) I have had the car a little while and the only maintenance that it has needed was the rear brakes needed replacing. I've been getting above average fuel consumption, it's rated at 19 city/ 26 highway and I've been getting 26+ mixed driving. Would love to upgrade to a T-5R or a S70 T5

Love it or Hate it
By kajajessica on 04/02/14 13:55 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my daughter about a year ago. I bought it from a private owner who had it for about 10 years. I took it to my mechanic he told me the car was in sound condition. All it needs mechanically is a tune up and redo the front suspension. My wife has always loved Volvos, she is on her third XC90. My daughter likes the look of 1995 850 turbo. We bought it for $1900 put another $750 into it as of right now it is a fun reliable car to drive.

This car is a hit/miss
By nprax on 10/29/12 15:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

When I was 16 my parents gave me $3000 and told me to get a car. Cant say I had alot of choices, and I ended up buying a bone stock 1995 red 850 sedan. This car is difficult to describe... you WILL love it for its highs; the durability, the cool-nerd styling, the suspension roomy interior and resonable value. The downs are pretty much like other european cars; expensive to maintain, reliability is iffy, but mine never left me stranded. Through the time I had it, i replaced countless hoses, the gas tank, seat belt mechanisms, electric systems, you name it. But even now with a brand new Dodge Challenger, I think about my volvo, and miss it. And thats what makes this car great.

I own 1995 volvo 850 GLT
By nmccardle on 10/10/12 06:04 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car from Ebay auction for very good price and this car is my first car since 2008. I ran into a lot of problems after 5 years later. oil milage tube leak, shifting gear problem, tramission fluid leak, and so on you name it. but it is going alive. it now 138,000 miles on it. it still alive today.

Great Car, Few minor tweaks
By Clay on 03/08/10 11:43 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This volvo is my second car to own. Previously I had a unreliable Accord. My volvo is great, the turbo is a lot of fun, the stereo is great, performance is great. IT's a quite but fast car. My only issue is when you need a new part it's very pricy. Used turbo costs about 1,200 for full installation. I love this car.

The Volvo 850 is the Best Car ever owned
By Deb A on 12/30/09 08:39 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 850 has 220,000 miles as of Dec. 2009. Bought used in 1995 with 13,000 miles. In the 14 years I have owned this 850, I have only replaced the struts, shocks, stereo, and heating coil. I live in Colorado and commute an average of 105 miles daily. With snow tires she handles beautifully in winter. I also perform regular maintenance like clock work. After all these years...she is still running strong and still looks beautiful. Without a doubt, she is the best car by all accounts.

I still love it!
By Linda on 12/20/09 14:41 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for almost 10 years. It runs perfectly and has not had any major problems. I stay current with maintenance schedule recommended by dealer.

Great car for the money
By David on 07/17/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car as second owner for my mom who was 74. Had two minor little problems but has been a real gem. Just keep ahead of the maintenance.

safe, reliable, and fun, but pricy
By Andrew on 05/04/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used three years ago and thoroughly love driving it... until I have to pay for the service bill. The car is not too fast off the line and there is noticeable turbo lag on acceleration, but it has serious high-end power. Going 40-90mph...er it is fast. It also handles wonderfully in the snow and rain. I live in Michigan and it cruises right past all of those massive 4wd SUVs in the ditch. Even as aggressively as I drive, highway gas mileage is 30-32. (20-22 in the city). Maintenance is fairly simple, but parts are a little on the pricy side. I've had to do only standard stuff (brakes, shocks, wipers, etc.) and it costs 10% more than the same work on a more common car.

Pretty Good Car
By Delton Adams Jr. on 04/26/09 17:21 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is pretty decent. It is incredibly fun to drive on the highway because of the turbo engine. It has an enormous trunk which is a bonus. However, when i purchased it in November of 2008, I had to replace the odometer, engine mount, battery, front sway bar link arms, and strut mounts. Overall this is a good (not great) car for someone who would like to drive a pretty reliable carfor under $4,000.00