1995 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
The Volvo 850 is the Best Car ever owned
By Deb A on 12/30/09 08:39 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

My 850 has 220,000 miles as of Dec. 2009. Bought used in 1995 with 13,000 miles. In the 14 years I have owned this 850, I have only replaced the struts, shocks, stereo, and heating coil. I live in Colorado and commute an average of 105 miles daily. With snow tires she handles beautifully in winter. I also perform regular maintenance like clock work. After all these years...she is still running strong and still looks beautiful. Without a doubt, she is the best car by all accounts.

Great car for the money
By David on 07/17/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Bought this car as second owner for my mom who was 74. Had two minor little problems but has been a real gem. Just keep ahead of the maintenance.

1995 Volvo 850 Base 4dr
By MotorStreet on 03/09/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

What Volvo achieved with the 850 is amazing. The 850 was the first front wheel drive car actually built and designed by Volvo. Before the 850 Volvo only made heavy rear wheel drive tanks like the 240. At the time the class benchmark was the BMW 3-Series, but when the 850 came along it was bigger, safer, and better to drive than the BMW. The 850 feels nimble and the 5 cylinder engine is responsive and suprisingly quick. The 850 also got high crash test ratings. One of the nicest things about the 850 is its seats, which are some of the most car comfortable I've ever used. The only problem we've experienced in 14 years is a broken fuse that made the dashboard lights quit working. A great car.

Great Basic Car
By Jon Lilienfeld on 02/28/07 14:37 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Currently at 197,000 miles. No major repairs at all. Do your preventive maintenance and it will last forever. A few little repairs, but what the heck. Handling positive & sure.

Nice Car
By WORLDBFRE on 12/25/06 18:56 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from the original owner. It had 168,00. I now have over 180K My wife drove round trip Boston to Milwaukee. White 4 door, spoiler. People said hey look at you, Volvo! Hey for $3400 it is the most comfortable car. I luv that deep Volvo base purr. I had the timing belt, tensioners and water pump replaced as a precaution.

Never again, sadly
By SD3-60 on 09/18/06 01:58 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th Volvo. Volvo built its reptuation on the 122s and 240s, NOT the 850. This is a fun, spacious, somewhat fast, and terribly unreliable car. I'm at 100K right now; here's what I've had to do: clutch, cat. converter, motor mounts, cam shaft position sensor, rear door handle jammed (fixed myself), alternator (all over $2000, not including reg maintenance such as the t-belt and service). Design-wise, this car is light years ahead of the 240. However, its reliabilty falls very short of the old work horses. They still are very safe, but that's about the extent of the old reputation that still may be true today :( If you do make the mistake of buying this car, get the manual tranny

Great car for teenager
By BARB1958 on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

This car has been a great car for my teenager. Its safety was a big priority, it's fun to drive and has some luxury items like leather and seat warmers that we don't have on the other cars. I drive a van, and I prefer to drive the Volvo during snow/rain because it has a better feel for the road. The car had 142,000 miles on it when purchased, but we feel our used- Volvo dealer prepped it well and guaranteed everything for one year. Will look for a '96 or '97 for my next teenager car purchase next year.

Very Satisfied
By Audry on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used & was trusting that everything would be ok...I've never had anything go wrong. It's a great car.

no more volvo's
By gary patterson on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Motor, Trans great...little things a big problem. Broken power seat back, broken glove box lock, worn cruise control wire, recirculate air broken twice, cup holders, center arm rest broken, rear door welds broken, mud flaps broken, broken horn contacts (constant honk), check engine light stuck on (dealer couldn't reset..."recommend $600 new electronics"...forget it guys!) Radio doesn't even work right("We can fix that for $400") But it is safe!!!!