1995 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
I love my Volvo
By itssamyo on 07/18/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I love my 850. It is my first car that my family has owned since 1997. Four years ago when I started driving it I was admittedly ashamed to have a "soccer mom car". My attitude quickly changed. Its a N/A four speed automatic that is going on 274000 miles. The car is showing its age with little squeaks and rattles, the hatch no longer stays open on its own, and little bits and bobs seem to be wearing out. Despite this it has been an incredibly safe form of transportation. While repairs are far from cheap, the engine and transmission are bulletproof and continue to work well, and I tend to push this wagon very hard.

Best car I have ever owned
By schuckles on 01/29/12 07:25 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 used, the previous owner beat the crap out of it and I've been restoring it. My 850 lacks the turbo, it is a bit slow. However, the 5 cyl engine that Volvo used in this car is rock solid, it starts every time. The car drives like a dream, it holds just about anything you can imagine, the MPG is nothing to write home about (avg 19.8 MPG). The gear shifter is a little notchy, requires a large throw. The odometer stopped working at 185k miles, but using the computer diag port, it's actually got 214k miles - the vehicle shows no sign of giving out - it just keeps going! The suspension and all wheel disc brakes give it a sporty edge, but the engine is under powered.

A Classic Volvo
By Alex on 04/25/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

We bought the car after our second child was born in 1994. Only problems have been the air conditioning, as well as some more minor engine parts. Everything else is great, very safe and solid!

Great Car for College Students
By Kate on 03/22/08 20:44 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my car with 105,000 miles on it as the fourth owner. I had it for a year. It was awesome as a college student to be able to haul around my friends and my stuff. However, previous owners had not cared for the car properly and I ended up with a blown piston ring after a year of ownership. That pretty much totaled the car ($3k of repairs for a $3k car) unfortunately. However, I bought a used 2002 XC70 because I loved my 850 so much. It was taken on several car trips (camping, skiing and paintball) and performed well in all areas. I wish I could have bought another. Be aware when buying used- if the person before you hasn't done the maintenance, the car will fail.

Good Sportwagon
By cmt28 on 01/24/07 12:58 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

Great Car. Have had since new, no leaks, tight, going strong..... onward to 300K. Fun to drive.

awesome swedish luxury wagon
By Sandra on 09/24/06 14:17 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

this car is beautiful. runs like a beast. i have 122,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. volvo's are known to make it to the million mile mark. never had any problems with it, just the normal wear and tear all cars get when over 100,000 miles. excellent car in the snow when equipped with winter package. feel very safe in this car. it is very good at catching speed. love the factory premium sound system. to sum it all up everything about this car is excellent!

Not a bad car
By eraumatt on 12/29/05 10:22 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I received this car from my parents when they got another car. They bought it new from a dealer in 1995. It has never failed to start on me. Recently, I replaced the starter because it was going, and it would take 3-4 cranks to get it to turn, but it always started. The electric seat modules are busted, and do not work. I'm sure it would be an easy aftermarket fix. The heated seats also no longer work. Mechanically, there is a slight oil leak coming from the bottom of the engine, but no one can figure it out. I drove from Florida to New Mexico with ZERO oil, because the Oil Lube station in FL didn't secure the oil pan cap, however the car is still running 1 year later, with no problems.

Peppy Wagon, and perfect for me!!!
By Blake Cooper on 06/28/05 00:44 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I love this car, I looked for one of these cars for about 3months before finding the one that i wanted. i was picky, i wanted a well optioned wagon with a 5-speed manual tranny, i got it! Ya see, I am a Musician that plays Tuba and Basses that need a lot of room to move around. I can fit my up-right bass and a 450wt 4x10 cabinet and my elecetic bass and a tuba with plenty of room to spare in this lovely wagon. A really fun car to have that looks great and is practical for anyone.

Older is Better
By ParkCity Volvo on 03/26/05 19:26 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my Volvo 850 GLT Wagon on e- bay over three years ago. It was a one owner car with all the service records. The car had over 100,000 miles on it and drove like it was brand new. I am happy to say that I almost have 200,000 miles on it and it still drives excellent. This has been the VERY BEST car I have ever owned! I have had to replace the very basic items such as brakes and burned out lights. The engine never fails, warm or cold, starts right up, even if left for weeks at a time she fires right up. Did I mention how good they are in the snow? Excellent Snow Car! I have thought about buying a newer Volvo but with GM in the picture I think I will stay will the pre GM."Older is Better

Old Reliable!
By bocaengineer on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I purchased this car pre-owned from a dealership in Dallas. It is a great car, even though it has had a few mechanical (minor) problems. My one word of advice is BUY THE EXTENDED WARRENTY. These cars are great, but they can cost to fix. Especially if you use the dealership. But, as a new mom, (when I purchased the car, I was) it is perfect. Great cargo space, safe, secure, and almost graceful in the simplicity of it's design. I have always loved how safe I feel in this car, an urban tank. If you want a car that will keep you happy and make others envious for years to come, this is the car. A classic. I