1995 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Love my Volvo
By a_childs on 05/06/14 21:23 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

My Volvo 850 has been a very good first car. It is very comfy, has a really long features list for a car of its age. Love the sound of the inline 5. Has a good amount of power for the non turbo (168hp) I have had the car a little while and the only maintenance that it has needed was the rear brakes needed replacing. I've been getting above average fuel consumption, it's rated at 19 city/ 26 highway and I've been getting 26+ mixed driving. Would love to upgrade to a T-5R or a S70 T5

Love it or Hate it
By kajajessica on 04/02/14 13:55 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my daughter about a year ago. I bought it from a private owner who had it for about 10 years. I took it to my mechanic he told me the car was in sound condition. All it needs mechanically is a tune up and redo the front suspension. My wife has always loved Volvos, she is on her third XC90. My daughter likes the look of 1995 850 turbo. We bought it for $1900 put another $750 into it as of right now it is a fun reliable car to drive.

I love my Volvo
By itssamyo on 07/18/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I love my 850. It is my first car that my family has owned since 1997. Four years ago when I started driving it I was admittedly ashamed to have a "soccer mom car". My attitude quickly changed. Its a N/A four speed automatic that is going on 274000 miles. The car is showing its age with little squeaks and rattles, the hatch no longer stays open on its own, and little bits and bobs seem to be wearing out. Despite this it has been an incredibly safe form of transportation. While repairs are far from cheap, the engine and transmission are bulletproof and continue to work well, and I tend to push this wagon very hard.

Speedy Masochist, Inexpensive Oldy
By mattmyth1 on 06/06/13 15:53 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought a 95 Turbo wagon 14 months ago. It had been loved by 2 owners, 220,000 miles. Finding it was not easy. I looked at 6 different wagons before I found my car. Luckily, I met a local mechanic/enthusiast in LA, twice I was close to buying but hired him to inspect the vehicles which I highly recommend. Both times I avoided buying pieces of junk from liars. Do your research, know the common problems. I bought the car and restored the interior for next to nothing thanks to all of the junkyards in the area. Also had the engine restored and swapped my auto trans for a manual. The car is amazing for what I paid. I purchased a tune, and the car is so viscous, a blast to drive.

Durable
By joes12 on 01/26/13 19:31 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We got a good deal on an 850,after my Caprice died unexpectedly. It was my first 'foreign' car,and aside from a little getting used to it turned out to be pretty durable and low maintenance...even up to the 250,000 I had it. Ultimately it started to develop a head gasket issue that we found wasn't worth fixing at that stage.

This car is a hit/miss
By nprax on 10/29/12 15:07 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

When I was 16 my parents gave me $3000 and told me to get a car. Cant say I had alot of choices, and I ended up buying a bone stock 1995 red 850 sedan. This car is difficult to describe... you WILL love it for its highs; the durability, the cool-nerd styling, the suspension roomy interior and resonable value. The downs are pretty much like other european cars; expensive to maintain, reliability is iffy, but mine never left me stranded. Through the time I had it, i replaced countless hoses, the gas tank, seat belt mechanisms, electric systems, you name it. But even now with a brand new Dodge Challenger, I think about my volvo, and miss it. And thats what makes this car great.

I own 1995 volvo 850 GLT
By nmccardle on 10/10/12 06:04 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car from Ebay auction for very good price and this car is my first car since 2008. I ran into a lot of problems after 5 years later. oil milage tube leak, shifting gear problem, tramission fluid leak, and so on you name it. but it is going alive. it now 138,000 miles on it. it still alive today.

Best car I have ever owned
By schuckles on 01/29/12 07:25 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 used, the previous owner beat the crap out of it and I've been restoring it. My 850 lacks the turbo, it is a bit slow. However, the 5 cyl engine that Volvo used in this car is rock solid, it starts every time. The car drives like a dream, it holds just about anything you can imagine, the MPG is nothing to write home about (avg 19.8 MPG). The gear shifter is a little notchy, requires a large throw. The odometer stopped working at 185k miles, but using the computer diag port, it's actually got 214k miles - the vehicle shows no sign of giving out - it just keeps going! The suspension and all wheel disc brakes give it a sporty edge, but the engine is under powered.

Performance and reliability
By Richard Hendesron on 07/16/10 10:22 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 T5R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought my t5-r in a snow storm . The seller sold it to me dirt cheap (only $1500). I've added suspension springs and sway bars. I've also upgraded the ecu and exhaust and turbo. This car eats up r/t chargers and most f-bodied V-8 GM cars. Very roomy but it drives so solid. I never expected this out of a Volvo. Fuel economy is good but not o.k. Pretty easy to work on if your not afraid to d.i.y. And to top it all off its a rare car. I love the feeling of smoking a STI or charger and the look on the faces. Yeah, you just got torched by a Volvo.

Great Car, Few minor tweaks
By Clay on 03/08/10 11:43 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This volvo is my second car to own. Previously I had a unreliable Accord. My volvo is great, the turbo is a lot of fun, the stereo is great, performance is great. IT's a quite but fast car. My only issue is when you need a new part it's very pricy. Used turbo costs about 1,200 for full installation. I love this car.