Best Car I've Ever Owned
By kfluharty on
1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Wagon
Don't let the miles scare you when you are looking for a used Volvo. Mine had 152,000 miles on it when I bought it. Just passed 230,000 and this thing still runs and drives like a new car. She's built like a tank. Regular maintenance and the odd sensor or ball joint and this thing will run forever. FOLLOW THE VOLVO RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!! I bought this car used 3 years ago after it was recommended by 3 different people. I have owned over 25 cars including Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jeeps, a Ford, several GM products, and a BMW and this one is BY FAR the best vehicle I've ever owned. My friends kept telling me "Once you own a Volvo, you'll never own another car. They were right.
Favorite Features
Most comfortable seats in the world. Build quality is AMAZING. Other car makers (BMW and Mercedes excluded) build throw away cars that are designed to be replaced after 100,000-200,000 miles. Pre-Ford ownership Volvo built cars to last you a lifetime. The bad reviews ever given this car are from people who don't understand that parts WILL wear out. The difference is that the major automakers build them so that when the parts wear out, it is uneconomical to keep the car on the road. Volvo built cars to replace only the part that failed. The basic structure of the vehicle is bulletproof. That said, learn to work on your own car, because the Volvo dealership prices are ridiculous.
Suggested Improvements
The front suspension is problematic with this being Volvo's first front wheel drive car. Control arm bushings, ball joints, etc are not as high quality as the rest of the car. I'm in for an alignment once a year, although I do drive 30-40k miles annually. Also, if it matters to you, the cupholders are worthless. In Sweden, driving is driving and you don't eat or drink while doing so. They were added by Volvo as an afterthought for the American market.