Used 1994 Volvo 850 GLTS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By kfluharty

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

Don't let the miles scare you when you are looking for a used Volvo. Mine had 152,000 miles on it when I bought it. Just passed 230,000 and this thing still runs and drives like a new car. She's built like a tank. Regular maintenance and the odd sensor or ball joint and this thing will run forever. FOLLOW THE VOLVO RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!! I bought this car used 3 years ago after it was recommended by 3 different people. I have owned over 25 cars including Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jeeps, a Ford, several GM products, and a BMW and this one is BY FAR the best vehicle I've ever owned. My friends kept telling me "Once you own a Volvo, you'll never own another car. They were right.

Favorite Features

Most comfortable seats in the world. Build quality is AMAZING. Other car makers (BMW and Mercedes excluded) build throw away cars that are designed to be replaced after 100,000-200,000 miles. Pre-Ford ownership Volvo built cars to last you a lifetime. The bad reviews ever given this car are from people who don't understand that parts WILL wear out. The difference is that the major automakers build them so that when the parts wear out, it is uneconomical to keep the car on the road. Volvo built cars to replace only the part that failed. The basic structure of the vehicle is bulletproof. That said, learn to work on your own car, because the Volvo dealership prices are ridiculous.

Suggested Improvements

The front suspension is problematic with this being Volvo's first front wheel drive car. Control arm bushings, ball joints, etc are not as high quality as the rest of the car. I'm in for an alignment once a year, although I do drive 30-40k miles annually. Also, if it matters to you, the cupholders are worthless. In Sweden, driving is driving and you don't eat or drink while doing so. They were added by Volvo as an afterthought for the American market.

A Good Car...all in all
By Joe

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

has 137k, bought with 103k. Problems: - Throttle body hose, mass airflow meter, and spark plugs (about $700) at 129k - New ceramic brakes and rotors ($475) -New wiper/cruise control stock (replaced on my own at $35) Benefits: - Very comfortable car, perfect for long trips! - 26-30mpg highway - Rear seats fold flat...and passenger seat. It can sleep somebody in there!

Favorite Features

Dual climate control Flat rear seats Comfortably seats 5

Suggested Improvements

Peppier engine. It's better than your mother's tan 240, but it barely keeps its own amongst 4-banger Camrys or Accords of today.

Safety Matters
By ADuckGirl

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

This is our second Volvo, and both my husband and I love it. We were originially sold on the Volvo safety record, but after driving it for a few weeks, we realized that the performance of this vehicle is also outstanding. We got it right before our son was born, and although having a rear-facing child seat in it was a bit of a tight fit, now that he's in a forward facing seat, we don't have a negative thing to say about it. It's roomy enough for our child, three dogs, and all our gear for vacations, and it's extremely reliable.

Favorite Features

Third seat, memory driver seat, econ/ sport features, trip computer, handling/performance, safety, safety, safety

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, roomier design in 2nd seat to allow for rear-facing car seats

clean machine
By ultrasuperchump

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

comfortable, reliable, I feel very safe in it

Favorite Features

selecting driving style with the transmission ie. winter ,econ. or sport

Suggested Improvements

the city mpg is too low 12.5 mpg avg.

Old Driver's Opinion
By OldDriver

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

These are great cars and are very safe. I have had no problems and this is my second Volvo to own. I will buy another Volvo.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, headlight wiper blades, third seat, sunroof, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

None!