1994 Volvo 850 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Best Car I've Ever Owned
By kfluharty on 08/08/13 15:48 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

Don't let the miles scare you when you are looking for a used Volvo. Mine had 152,000 miles on it when I bought it. Just passed 230,000 and this thing still runs and drives like a new car. She's built like a tank. Regular maintenance and the odd sensor or ball joint and this thing will run forever. FOLLOW THE VOLVO RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!! I bought this car used 3 years ago after it was recommended by 3 different people. I have owned over 25 cars including Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jeeps, a Ford, several GM products, and a BMW and this one is BY FAR the best vehicle I've ever owned. My friends kept telling me "Once you own a Volvo, you'll never own another car. They were right.

A Good Car...all in all
By Joe on 05/11/10 20:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

has 137k, bought with 103k. Problems: - Throttle body hose, mass airflow meter, and spark plugs (about $700) at 129k - New ceramic brakes and rotors ($475) -New wiper/cruise control stock (replaced on my own at $35) Benefits: - Very comfortable car, perfect for long trips! - 26-30mpg highway - Rear seats fold flat...and passenger seat. It can sleep somebody in there!

Take care of it & it will take care of U
By Sinika on 09/17/06 20:20 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 turbo wagon brand new in 93 and have put 195,374 fun filled miles on it in the past 13 years. I have religiously maintained it as instructed by the owner's manual and have had no major problems with it. Most of the reviews Ive read about this car were given by people who bought one used and obviously did not have their mechanic look it over before purchasing. As long as you take care of this car, it will take care of you. I have changed the oil regularly and I use mobil one synthetic exclusively. The only major repairs Ive had to perform is replacing an a/c evaporator @ 132,000 miles. Other than that, Ive only had to replace the usual wear & tear items,tires,filters,etc

Fun to drive, but not fun to own
By pat on 11/02/05 22:04 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased this vehicle with 82,000 miles, and sold it with 139,000. During this time, the car needed new tires every 12,000 miles because they wore unevenly, even with proper inflation. The brakes needed to be replaced every 10,000 miles, becasue the rotors warped, even with minmal use of the brakes. The radiator, catalytic coverter, O2 sensors, engine components, power seat, and blower motor needed replaced. In addition, the AC broke twice, and we had an oil and coolant leak repaired. After we were hit by a runaway car, it took 6 trips to THE DEALER to fix the car properly. The dealer parted out are car during the fifth trip, swapping used parts for the newer ones off our car.

Ouch this is going to hurt
By 1971911guy on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this POS from a family member working at a dealership. The car looked great and the dealership said they would take care of any flaws. Yeah right. I took possesion of the car and 2 weeks later it had a cracked radiator, leaking oil from the rear main seal, needed a new turbo, the power steering pump went out, the rear hatch rattles horribly, the tires needed replacing due to broken belts, the front struts needed to be repaced, the alternator was replaced, and I continue to have other small things break or fall off of this vehicle. I hope that I am the only one to experience the agony of owning a VOLVO.

unreliable, but a good car overall
By zimco on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We've had our Volvo for 10 years and in the past few, it has shown much aging. The air conditioning broke approximately 6 times and was VERY costly to fix. It proved a huge paralysis in the reliability of the vehicle, and made it a bad summer car. It can have a stiff ride and can be the a little noisy because of the back door jiggling over rough pavement. However, it is a pleasant car to drive, with good pickup and surefooted handling. It can accomodate up to 5 adults in comfort, and is a quiet cruiser and highway merger. Reliability aside, it is a comfortable, capable, athletic, enjoyable car.

Great family car
By Bunger on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

These cars are very safe, and dependable. There are problems with the auto transmission, so expect to replace it about every 100K miles.

Excellent safe and fun family car
By Caribou1 on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

In 1997 bought 1994 Turbo Wagon with 30,000 miles. Vehicle equiped with heated front seats, headlight washers, trip computer, third-seat, integrated child seat, 6 CD disc changer, moonroof. Overall - the car has performed very well and still retains a lot of pep. Repairs in the first 3 years of ownership were minor. The car currently has 116,000 miles - and recent repairs, as one would expect, have been more serious: replaced transmission, A/C evaporator needs to be replaced. However, vehicle does not burn oil, and has only sprung minor oil leaks that were inexpensively repaired.

Safety Matters
By ADuckGirl on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

This is our second Volvo, and both my husband and I love it. We were originially sold on the Volvo safety record, but after driving it for a few weeks, we realized that the performance of this vehicle is also outstanding. We got it right before our son was born, and although having a rear-facing child seat in it was a bit of a tight fit, now that he's in a forward facing seat, we don't have a negative thing to say about it. It's roomy enough for our child, three dogs, and all our gear for vacations, and it's extremely reliable.

Happy volvo wagon owner
By Caribou on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Overall the vehicle has been a solid performer. Excellent power, excellent winter driving, everyone loves the heated seats, very roomy for passengers, and plenty of room for cargo. Purchased car with 30,000 miles - currently going strong at 116,000. Repairs in the first 3 years were minor. Howeer, within the last two years had to replace the transmission and correct several oil leaks. The oil leak repairs were all minor at less than $100 each. The A/C evaporator needs to be replaced. Our car included: 6 Disc CD Changer, and third seat.