Used 1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By kfluharty

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

Don't let the miles scare you when you are looking for a used Volvo. Mine had 152,000 miles on it when I bought it. Just passed 230,000 and this thing still runs and drives like a new car. She's built like a tank. Regular maintenance and the odd sensor or ball joint and this thing will run forever. FOLLOW THE VOLVO RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!! I bought this car used 3 years ago after it was recommended by 3 different people. I have owned over 25 cars including Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jeeps, a Ford, several GM products, and a BMW and this one is BY FAR the best vehicle I've ever owned. My friends kept telling me "Once you own a Volvo, you'll never own another car. They were right.

Most comfortable seats in the world. Build quality is AMAZING. Other car makers (BMW and Mercedes excluded) build throw away cars that are designed to be replaced after 100,000-200,000 miles. Pre-Ford ownership Volvo built cars to last you a lifetime. The bad reviews ever given this car are from people who don't understand that parts WILL wear out. The difference is that the major automakers build them so that when the parts wear out, it is uneconomical to keep the car on the road. Volvo built cars to replace only the part that failed. The basic structure of the vehicle is bulletproof. That said, learn to work on your own car, because the Volvo dealership prices are ridiculous.

The front suspension is problematic with this being Volvo's first front wheel drive car. Control arm bushings, ball joints, etc are not as high quality as the rest of the car. I'm in for an alignment once a year, although I do drive 30-40k miles annually. Also, if it matters to you, the cupholders are worthless. In Sweden, driving is driving and you don't eat or drink while doing so. They were added by Volvo as an afterthought for the American market.

A Good Car...all in all
By Joe

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon GLTS 4dr Wagon

has 137k, bought with 103k. Problems: - Throttle body hose, mass airflow meter, and spark plugs (about $700) at 129k - New ceramic brakes and rotors ($475) -New wiper/cruise control stock (replaced on my own at $35) Benefits: - Very comfortable car, perfect for long trips! - 26-30mpg highway - Rear seats fold flat...and passenger seat. It can sleep somebody in there!

Dual climate control Flat rear seats Comfortably seats 5

Peppier engine. It's better than your mother's tan 240, but it barely keeps its own amongst 4-banger Camrys or Accords of today.

Take care of it & it will take care of U
By Sinika

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 turbo wagon brand new in 93 and have put 195,374 fun filled miles on it in the past 13 years. I have religiously maintained it as instructed by the owner's manual and have had no major problems with it. Most of the reviews Ive read about this car were given by people who bought one used and obviously did not have their mechanic look it over before purchasing. As long as you take care of this car, it will take care of you. I have changed the oil regularly and I use mobil one synthetic exclusively. The only major repairs Ive had to perform is replacing an a/c evaporator @ 132,000 miles. Other than that, Ive only had to replace the usual wear & tear items,tires,filters,etc

The turbo makes this car very fun to drive. The seats are amazing as is the amount of stuff it will carry. In 13 years, Ive never had to replace the rotors, I just keep having them turned which amazes me considering the car has over 195,000 miles on it. Its built like a tank, fast, fun & reliable

My only complaint is the layout of the switches on the interrior. It takes some getting used to but after a while, it becomes second nature. As for other people having problems with their tires and brakes, all I can say is make sure U get alignment checked. My tires average around 45,000 miles.

Fun to drive, but not fun to own
By pat

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased this vehicle with 82,000 miles, and sold it with 139,000. During this time, the car needed new tires every 12,000 miles because they wore unevenly, even with proper inflation. The brakes needed to be replaced every 10,000 miles, becasue the rotors warped, even with minmal use of the brakes. The radiator, catalytic coverter, O2 sensors, engine components, power seat, and blower motor needed replaced. In addition, the AC broke twice, and we had an oil and coolant leak repaired. After we were hit by a runaway car, it took 6 trips to THE DEALER to fix the car properly. The dealer parted out are car during the fifth trip, swapping used parts for the newer ones off our car.

Turbo made the car very fun to drive. Comfortable seats. Extremely safe in an accident. Excellent headlights.

Make the car reliable. Make the parts and labor costs of repairs reasonable (not 3 times what most cars are). Even the dealer can't repair the car correctly - how is anyone else supposed to? Improve the radio reception. Improve the cupholders. Relocate power window switches

Ouch this is going to hurt
By 1971911guy

1994 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this POS from a family member working at a dealership. The car looked great and the dealership said they would take care of any flaws. Yeah right. I took possesion of the car and 2 weeks later it had a cracked radiator, leaking oil from the rear main seal, needed a new turbo, the power steering pump went out, the rear hatch rattles horribly, the tires needed replacing due to broken belts, the front struts needed to be repaced, the alternator was replaced, and I continue to have other small things break or fall off of this vehicle. I hope that I am the only one to experience the agony of owning a VOLVO.

Turbo charged fun. Front eats are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in.

Better quality control. relocate the window/mirror adjusters. Make this car at least as reliable as a YUGO.