Used 1994 Volvo 850 GLT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Comfortable Ride Finally Found
By Don Valencic

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

After searching for a quality second car for doctor's appointments and the occasional trip to the mall, I finally found it in my 1994 Volvo GLT. I test drove and passed on every maker's so called premium/luxury model. I test drove this car because of its excellent outward appearance. I was surprised to find it quiet, rattle free, smooth on acceleration with terrific handling. Seating was what mattered most due to my disabilities. The 8 way w/memory, thickly padded but supportive power seat let me find the best position easily and keep it. I have never been more pleased in more than 42 years of driving. I wonder if the new Volvos are as well designed and made as this one.

Seating comfort, understated good looks, reliabilty of the power train, available horse power for every day driving and excellence in engineering.

As this car had every available factory option, I really cannot think of anything... except a rear wheel drive platform perhaps?

Depends on your climate
By Jason

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought with 78K miles in 2001. Amazingly harsh and brittle ride, lack of power at low speeds, tendency to wander at high speeds, narrow tires not very confidence-inspiring. Significant body roll, squeaky but effective brakes. Had a $500 problem with it once every year. Broken down only once, when the battery decided it had had enough and wanted to explode but didn't. AC evaporator tends to fail and costs a grand to fix. This car lets in an amazing about of heat in the summer, and I live in the northeast. This car is relatively cheap to buy now, but I would only recommend it to residents of Canada who don't like driving fast and have autobahn-quality roads where they live.

Iconic design that still looks fresh. Appealing wheel choices. Supportive seats allow to drive 9 hours straight without getting tired. Good fuel economy. Single disc in-dash CD player well designed, very willing to play burned CDs, with good-enough sound quality.

Gosh, a little late to change anything now, but Volvo could finally own up to the AC problem and at least reimburse owners with Starbucks gift certificates.

Great car
By seashell

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought the car because of the safety features. Luckily they've never been tested. The drivers seat is the most comfortable seat as was my 240. It gets decent mileage 22 to 25 (includes some highway driving). I don't like the price of the 30K service work but it's never let me down. The finish has held up great with waxing twice a year. The antenna has gotten bent in car washes and had to be replaced. I wish the new ones had as much room. I do ocassionally have to tighten the nut on the windshield washer arm. Overall it has been good to me.

The seats. I have ocassional back spasms and they are the most comfortable. This is an asset for long trips. The paint finish. It still shines like new after 9 years (I do wax it twice a year).

Great Car
By regnellie

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car new in 94 and have loved it! Car just totaled in an accident and of course everyone in the car walked away without a scratch! We will purchase another Volvo to replace this one, a used one this time. They are such great cars we have no second thoughts about purchasing a used Volvo, our first used car. Had around 108K miles and we had not had any major repairs done to the car. The yearly service was pricey, which is my only complaint with Volvos. However, they are such reliable cars that it seems like a small matter overall. This was our second Volvo and we will probably always own as least one! Tons of trunk space.

Reliability, get a lot of car for the price because so many extras are already added in.

CUP HOLDERS, better plastic for interior...tends to crack.

Volvo 850 1994
By doctorbiz

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

Reliable good-looking auto with comfortable seating. Useful trunk rear- seat split for additional cargo.

"Solid" feel