Used 1994 Volvo 850 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

FUN CAR! :D
By brando

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

FUN TO DRIVE! VERY PRACTICAL!.......WILL LAST A LONG TIME... MINE HAS 195K.

Favorite Features

Traction control, economy and sport modes. STYLING!

Suggested Improvements

none yet!

volvo 850 turbo
By jamesmcsweeney

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have a volvo 850 turbo since 2005 and I have fond it a very comfortable car to drive it has a lot of power and with a proper tune up its very fast .its also nimble in traffic .Yes you have to put premiuim gas in it but that is a small sacrifice for the power you are getting . all in all I love this car .

Favorite Features

250 turbo engine

Suggested Improvements

the dash board could have been made a little better.

Comfortable Ride Finally Found
By Don Valencic

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

After searching for a quality second car for doctor's appointments and the occasional trip to the mall, I finally found it in my 1994 Volvo GLT. I test drove and passed on every maker's so called premium/luxury model. I test drove this car because of its excellent outward appearance. I was surprised to find it quiet, rattle free, smooth on acceleration with terrific handling. Seating was what mattered most due to my disabilities. The 8 way w/memory, thickly padded but supportive power seat let me find the best position easily and keep it. I have never been more pleased in more than 42 years of driving. I wonder if the new Volvos are as well designed and made as this one.

Favorite Features

Seating comfort, understated good looks, reliabilty of the power train, available horse power for every day driving and excellence in engineering.

Suggested Improvements

As this car had every available factory option, I really cannot think of anything... except a rear wheel drive platform perhaps?

VOLVO 850
By COOL KID

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan GLTS 4dr Sedan

the volvo 850...this is my tank, a great car, it has got me through alot of things that many cars would hav probably gotten me killed lol. I just love this thing. I feel safe in it everytime i sit inside. It feels bullet proof, it will last forever, i just dont even know what else to say about this car.

Favorite Features

the clutch

Suggested Improvements

other than more horsepower (like 300) I cant think of nething

Depends on your climate
By Jason

1994 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought with 78K miles in 2001. Amazingly harsh and brittle ride, lack of power at low speeds, tendency to wander at high speeds, narrow tires not very confidence-inspiring. Significant body roll, squeaky but effective brakes. Had a $500 problem with it once every year. Broken down only once, when the battery decided it had had enough and wanted to explode but didn't. AC evaporator tends to fail and costs a grand to fix. This car lets in an amazing about of heat in the summer, and I live in the northeast. This car is relatively cheap to buy now, but I would only recommend it to residents of Canada who don't like driving fast and have autobahn-quality roads where they live.

Favorite Features

Iconic design that still looks fresh. Appealing wheel choices. Supportive seats allow to drive 9 hours straight without getting tired. Good fuel economy. Single disc in-dash CD player well designed, very willing to play burned CDs, with good-enough sound quality.

Suggested Improvements

Gosh, a little late to change anything now, but Volvo could finally own up to the AC problem and at least reimburse owners with Starbucks gift certificates.