Used 1994 Volvo 850 GLTS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

VOLVO 850
By COOL KID

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

the volvo 850...this is my tank, a great car, it has got me through alot of things that many cars would hav probably gotten me killed lol. I just love this thing. I feel safe in it everytime i sit inside. It feels bullet proof, it will last forever, i just dont even know what else to say about this car.

Favorite Features

the clutch

Suggested Improvements

other than more horsepower (like 300) I cant think of nething

Volvo 850 dependable
By atlmberry

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

This has been my most dependable car - more dependable than my brand new Acura TL.

Favorite Features

VERY dependable, nice exterior, great (comfortable) seats, inexpensive to operate. I can't kill the car, it just keeps going...

Suggested Improvements

If anything breaks - Swedish parts are expensive. Only items requiring repair are power seat and dash lights that burn out (very minor). Worst item in car is the flimsy cupholders above the power window switches

VOLVO 850GLT -93
By Jan-Iver

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

Great car with all the power I need. Costed all too much, but ALL cars do so in Norway. (Costed me $25.000,-) Sorry VOLVO, but your dealers need more training in fault finding. Also they should listen to what the customers say. My car has now the fourth transmission installed, as the dealer tried to get rid of some performance problems, and faultcodes that told him that the tranny was defective. The problem was, surprisingly in the ECC MCU. (All af you who know a little about early automotive databussystems know why.) All in all the car performs eccelent now. VERY good MPG ratings too. (0,8 litres of petrol per 10 kilometers)

Favorite Features

The automatic transmission, VERY smooth and predictable. ECC (Why isn't this obligated?, even the automatic transmission for traffic safety)

Suggested Improvements

Headlights.

good as it gets
By esc

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

I ve owned this used 850 2 1/2 years. Bought it used. It's been a real trooper with my driving, over 28K per year. Great car.

Favorite Features

Reliable, comfortable, has design character, definitely Swedish.

Suggested Improvements

More padding in the front seats Place electric window controls on doors rather than in center console.

Volvo Quirks
By CarltonJ

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo,(previous 244, and 744 owner). It has all the typical 'quirks' that make the old girl a Volvo. 1) electrical problems. It seems as soon as you go over 75k miles, the electrical system goes to pot, replacing bulbs in tail light, dash, and console instrument panel are a constant. Driver's side power seats don't recline anymore either. 2) Also, black trim on car peeled, and was repainted twice to no avail. 3) 6 disk CD changer in trunk is worthless, but sound system is great! I've got 130k on her now, and won't even think about another Volvo until I crack 200k. With age comes distinction...even if the lights keep going out.

Favorite Features

Mine is a 5 speed, so gas mileage is EXCELLENT

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job on trim, improved electrical wiring.