Used 1994 Volvo 850 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Take care of it & it will take care of U
By Sinika

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 turbo wagon brand new in 93 and have put 195,374 fun filled miles on it in the past 13 years. I have religiously maintained it as instructed by the owner's manual and have had no major problems with it. Most of the reviews Ive read about this car were given by people who bought one used and obviously did not have their mechanic look it over before purchasing. As long as you take care of this car, it will take care of you. I have changed the oil regularly and I use mobil one synthetic exclusively. The only major repairs Ive had to perform is replacing an a/c evaporator @ 132,000 miles. Other than that, Ive only had to replace the usual wear & tear items,tires,filters,etc

Favorite Features

The turbo makes this car very fun to drive. The seats are amazing as is the amount of stuff it will carry. In 13 years, Ive never had to replace the rotors, I just keep having them turned which amazes me considering the car has over 195,000 miles on it. Its built like a tank, fast, fun & reliable

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is the layout of the switches on the interrior. It takes some getting used to but after a while, it becomes second nature. As for other people having problems with their tires and brakes, all I can say is make sure U get alignment checked. My tires average around 45,000 miles.

Fun to drive, but not fun to own
By pat

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased this vehicle with 82,000 miles, and sold it with 139,000. During this time, the car needed new tires every 12,000 miles because they wore unevenly, even with proper inflation. The brakes needed to be replaced every 10,000 miles, becasue the rotors warped, even with minmal use of the brakes. The radiator, catalytic coverter, O2 sensors, engine components, power seat, and blower motor needed replaced. In addition, the AC broke twice, and we had an oil and coolant leak repaired. After we were hit by a runaway car, it took 6 trips to THE DEALER to fix the car properly. The dealer parted out are car during the fifth trip, swapping used parts for the newer ones off our car.

Favorite Features

Turbo made the car very fun to drive. Comfortable seats. Extremely safe in an accident. Excellent headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car reliable. Make the parts and labor costs of repairs reasonable (not 3 times what most cars are). Even the dealer can't repair the car correctly - how is anyone else supposed to? Improve the radio reception. Improve the cupholders. Relocate power window switches

Ouch this is going to hurt
By 1971911guy

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this POS from a family member working at a dealership. The car looked great and the dealership said they would take care of any flaws. Yeah right. I took possesion of the car and 2 weeks later it had a cracked radiator, leaking oil from the rear main seal, needed a new turbo, the power steering pump went out, the rear hatch rattles horribly, the tires needed replacing due to broken belts, the front struts needed to be repaced, the alternator was replaced, and I continue to have other small things break or fall off of this vehicle. I hope that I am the only one to experience the agony of owning a VOLVO.

Favorite Features

Turbo charged fun. Front eats are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control. relocate the window/mirror adjusters. Make this car at least as reliable as a YUGO.

unreliable, but a good car overall
By zimco

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We've had our Volvo for 10 years and in the past few, it has shown much aging. The air conditioning broke approximately 6 times and was VERY costly to fix. It proved a huge paralysis in the reliability of the vehicle, and made it a bad summer car. It can have a stiff ride and can be the a little noisy because of the back door jiggling over rough pavement. However, it is a pleasant car to drive, with good pickup and surefooted handling. It can accomodate up to 5 adults in comfort, and is a quiet cruiser and highway merger. Reliability aside, it is a comfortable, capable, athletic, enjoyable car.

Favorite Features

Very good acceleration and handling, general quietness, spacious accomodations, handy 3rd row seat, visibility, front seat warmers,

Suggested Improvements

apart from the cracking leather on the seats and pothole-induced noise, FIX THE AIR CONDITIONING!!! IT IS THE REASON WHY WE CAN'T STAND TO DRIVE IT IN THE SUMMER!!!

Great family car
By Bunger

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

These cars are very safe, and dependable. There are problems with the auto transmission, so expect to replace it about every 100K miles.

Favorite Features

Good poerformance, handling and style

Suggested Improvements

Work on that auto tranny and would have been nice to see more manual transmissions!