1994 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Take care of it & it will take care of U
By Sinika on 09/17/06 20:20 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 turbo wagon brand new in 93 and have put 195,374 fun filled miles on it in the past 13 years. I have religiously maintained it as instructed by the owner's manual and have had no major problems with it. Most of the reviews Ive read about this car were given by people who bought one used and obviously did not have their mechanic look it over before purchasing. As long as you take care of this car, it will take care of you. I have changed the oil regularly and I use mobil one synthetic exclusively. The only major repairs Ive had to perform is replacing an a/c evaporator @ 132,000 miles. Other than that, Ive only had to replace the usual wear & tear items,tires,filters,etc

Fun to drive, but not fun to own
By pat on 11/02/05 22:04 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased this vehicle with 82,000 miles, and sold it with 139,000. During this time, the car needed new tires every 12,000 miles because they wore unevenly, even with proper inflation. The brakes needed to be replaced every 10,000 miles, becasue the rotors warped, even with minmal use of the brakes. The radiator, catalytic coverter, O2 sensors, engine components, power seat, and blower motor needed replaced. In addition, the AC broke twice, and we had an oil and coolant leak repaired. After we were hit by a runaway car, it took 6 trips to THE DEALER to fix the car properly. The dealer parted out are car during the fifth trip, swapping used parts for the newer ones off our car.

Ouch this is going to hurt
By 1971911guy on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this POS from a family member working at a dealership. The car looked great and the dealership said they would take care of any flaws. Yeah right. I took possesion of the car and 2 weeks later it had a cracked radiator, leaking oil from the rear main seal, needed a new turbo, the power steering pump went out, the rear hatch rattles horribly, the tires needed replacing due to broken belts, the front struts needed to be repaced, the alternator was replaced, and I continue to have other small things break or fall off of this vehicle. I hope that I am the only one to experience the agony of owning a VOLVO.

unreliable, but a good car overall
By zimco on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We've had our Volvo for 10 years and in the past few, it has shown much aging. The air conditioning broke approximately 6 times and was VERY costly to fix. It proved a huge paralysis in the reliability of the vehicle, and made it a bad summer car. It can have a stiff ride and can be the a little noisy because of the back door jiggling over rough pavement. However, it is a pleasant car to drive, with good pickup and surefooted handling. It can accomodate up to 5 adults in comfort, and is a quiet cruiser and highway merger. Reliability aside, it is a comfortable, capable, athletic, enjoyable car.

Great family car
By Bunger on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

These cars are very safe, and dependable. There are problems with the auto transmission, so expect to replace it about every 100K miles.

Excellent safe and fun family car
By Caribou1 on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

In 1997 bought 1994 Turbo Wagon with 30,000 miles. Vehicle equiped with heated front seats, headlight washers, trip computer, third-seat, integrated child seat, 6 CD disc changer, moonroof. Overall - the car has performed very well and still retains a lot of pep. Repairs in the first 3 years of ownership were minor. The car currently has 116,000 miles - and recent repairs, as one would expect, have been more serious: replaced transmission, A/C evaporator needs to be replaced. However, vehicle does not burn oil, and has only sprung minor oil leaks that were inexpensively repaired.

Happy volvo wagon owner
By Caribou on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Overall the vehicle has been a solid performer. Excellent power, excellent winter driving, everyone loves the heated seats, very roomy for passengers, and plenty of room for cargo. Purchased car with 30,000 miles - currently going strong at 116,000. Repairs in the first 3 years were minor. Howeer, within the last two years had to replace the transmission and correct several oil leaks. The oil leak repairs were all minor at less than $100 each. The A/C evaporator needs to be replaced. Our car included: 6 Disc CD Changer, and third seat.

MY BEST VOLVO YET
By GEORGE BICI on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

MY TURBO WAGON IS FASTER THAN ANY CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. EVEN FASTER THAN MY 1997 MERCEDES E 320. ITS PROBABLY THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED IN 55 YEARS OF DRIVING. THIS IS MY 5TH VOLVO USEED AS A FAMILY CAR

Looking for a bigger car
By Dick Dastardly on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I replaced a 95 VW Jetta with the 850 Turbo Wagon. I am very impressed with the cargo capacity of this vehicle. The built in child seat is invaluable as it allows for a third person to sit with my two children in the back seat comfortably. It does lack a cup holder which is inconvenient but can be added via special order. The turbo adds power to create 220HP which comes in handy. Very comfortable ride. With 117K miles it drives without flaw. Mileage is fair with 18-19mpg in city. Overall a great vehicle.

Too much maintenance cost
By art hill on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Spending over $2000 per year on repairs