Used 1994 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By kfluharty

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Wagon

Don't let the miles scare you when you are looking for a used Volvo. Mine had 152,000 miles on it when I bought it. Just passed 230,000 and this thing still runs and drives like a new car. She's built like a tank. Regular maintenance and the odd sensor or ball joint and this thing will run forever. FOLLOW THE VOLVO RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!! I bought this car used 3 years ago after it was recommended by 3 different people. I have owned over 25 cars including Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jeeps, a Ford, several GM products, and a BMW and this one is BY FAR the best vehicle I've ever owned. My friends kept telling me "Once you own a Volvo, you'll never own another car. They were right.

Most comfortable seats in the world. Build quality is AMAZING. Other car makers (BMW and Mercedes excluded) build throw away cars that are designed to be replaced after 100,000-200,000 miles. Pre-Ford ownership Volvo built cars to last you a lifetime. The bad reviews ever given this car are from people who don't understand that parts WILL wear out. The difference is that the major automakers build them so that when the parts wear out, it is uneconomical to keep the car on the road. Volvo built cars to replace only the part that failed. The basic structure of the vehicle is bulletproof. That said, learn to work on your own car, because the Volvo dealership prices are ridiculous.

The front suspension is problematic with this being Volvo's first front wheel drive car. Control arm bushings, ball joints, etc are not as high quality as the rest of the car. I'm in for an alignment once a year, although I do drive 30-40k miles annually. Also, if it matters to you, the cupholders are worthless. In Sweden, driving is driving and you don't eat or drink while doing so. They were added by Volvo as an afterthought for the American market.

A Good Car...all in all
By Joe

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Wagon

has 137k, bought with 103k. Problems: - Throttle body hose, mass airflow meter, and spark plugs (about $700) at 129k - New ceramic brakes and rotors ($475) -New wiper/cruise control stock (replaced on my own at $35) Benefits: - Very comfortable car, perfect for long trips! - 26-30mpg highway - Rear seats fold flat...and passenger seat. It can sleep somebody in there!

Dual climate control Flat rear seats Comfortably seats 5

Peppier engine. It's better than your mother's tan 240, but it barely keeps its own amongst 4-banger Camrys or Accords of today.

FUN CAR! :D
By brando

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

FUN TO DRIVE! VERY PRACTICAL!.......WILL LAST A LONG TIME... MINE HAS 195K.

Traction control, economy and sport modes. STYLING!

none yet!

volvo 850 turbo
By jamesmcsweeney

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have a volvo 850 turbo since 2005 and I have fond it a very comfortable car to drive it has a lot of power and with a proper tune up its very fast .its also nimble in traffic .Yes you have to put premiuim gas in it but that is a small sacrifice for the power you are getting . all in all I love this car .

250 turbo engine

the dash board could have been made a little better.

Comfortable Ride Finally Found
By Don Valencic

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

After searching for a quality second car for doctor's appointments and the occasional trip to the mall, I finally found it in my 1994 Volvo GLT. I test drove and passed on every maker's so called premium/luxury model. I test drove this car because of its excellent outward appearance. I was surprised to find it quiet, rattle free, smooth on acceleration with terrific handling. Seating was what mattered most due to my disabilities. The 8 way w/memory, thickly padded but supportive power seat let me find the best position easily and keep it. I have never been more pleased in more than 42 years of driving. I wonder if the new Volvos are as well designed and made as this one.

Seating comfort, understated good looks, reliabilty of the power train, available horse power for every day driving and excellence in engineering.

As this car had every available factory option, I really cannot think of anything... except a rear wheel drive platform perhaps?