1994 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Best Car I've Ever Owned
By kfluharty on 08/08/13 15:48 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Wagon

Don't let the miles scare you when you are looking for a used Volvo. Mine had 152,000 miles on it when I bought it. Just passed 230,000 and this thing still runs and drives like a new car. She's built like a tank. Regular maintenance and the odd sensor or ball joint and this thing will run forever. FOLLOW THE VOLVO RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!! I bought this car used 3 years ago after it was recommended by 3 different people. I have owned over 25 cars including Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Jeeps, a Ford, several GM products, and a BMW and this one is BY FAR the best vehicle I've ever owned. My friends kept telling me "Once you own a Volvo, you'll never own another car. They were right.

A Good Car...all in all
By Joe on 05/11/10 20:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Wagon

has 137k, bought with 103k. Problems: - Throttle body hose, mass airflow meter, and spark plugs (about $700) at 129k - New ceramic brakes and rotors ($475) -New wiper/cruise control stock (replaced on my own at $35) Benefits: - Very comfortable car, perfect for long trips! - 26-30mpg highway - Rear seats fold flat...and passenger seat. It can sleep somebody in there!

FUN CAR! :D
By brando on 04/06/10 21:21 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

FUN TO DRIVE! VERY PRACTICAL!.......WILL LAST A LONG TIME... MINE HAS 195K.

volvo 850 turbo
By jamesmcsweeney on 02/15/10 05:09 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have a volvo 850 turbo since 2005 and I have fond it a very comfortable car to drive it has a lot of power and with a proper tune up its very fast .its also nimble in traffic .Yes you have to put premiuim gas in it but that is a small sacrifice for the power you are getting . all in all I love this car .

Comfortable Ride Finally Found
By Don Valencic on 09/23/07 21:45 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

After searching for a quality second car for doctor's appointments and the occasional trip to the mall, I finally found it in my 1994 Volvo GLT. I test drove and passed on every maker's so called premium/luxury model. I test drove this car because of its excellent outward appearance. I was surprised to find it quiet, rattle free, smooth on acceleration with terrific handling. Seating was what mattered most due to my disabilities. The 8 way w/memory, thickly padded but supportive power seat let me find the best position easily and keep it. I have never been more pleased in more than 42 years of driving. I wonder if the new Volvos are as well designed and made as this one.

Take care of it & it will take care of U
By Sinika on 09/17/06 20:20 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 turbo wagon brand new in 93 and have put 195,374 fun filled miles on it in the past 13 years. I have religiously maintained it as instructed by the owner's manual and have had no major problems with it. Most of the reviews Ive read about this car were given by people who bought one used and obviously did not have their mechanic look it over before purchasing. As long as you take care of this car, it will take care of you. I have changed the oil regularly and I use mobil one synthetic exclusively. The only major repairs Ive had to perform is replacing an a/c evaporator @ 132,000 miles. Other than that, Ive only had to replace the usual wear & tear items,tires,filters,etc

VOLVO 850
By COOL KID on 02/02/06 13:37 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

the volvo 850...this is my tank, a great car, it has got me through alot of things that many cars would hav probably gotten me killed lol. I just love this thing. I feel safe in it everytime i sit inside. It feels bullet proof, it will last forever, i just dont even know what else to say about this car.

Fun to drive, but not fun to own
By pat on 11/02/05 22:04 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased this vehicle with 82,000 miles, and sold it with 139,000. During this time, the car needed new tires every 12,000 miles because they wore unevenly, even with proper inflation. The brakes needed to be replaced every 10,000 miles, becasue the rotors warped, even with minmal use of the brakes. The radiator, catalytic coverter, O2 sensors, engine components, power seat, and blower motor needed replaced. In addition, the AC broke twice, and we had an oil and coolant leak repaired. After we were hit by a runaway car, it took 6 trips to THE DEALER to fix the car properly. The dealer parted out are car during the fifth trip, swapping used parts for the newer ones off our car.

Depends on your climate
By Jason on 09/01/05 00:41 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought with 78K miles in 2001. Amazingly harsh and brittle ride, lack of power at low speeds, tendency to wander at high speeds, narrow tires not very confidence-inspiring. Significant body roll, squeaky but effective brakes. Had a $500 problem with it once every year. Broken down only once, when the battery decided it had had enough and wanted to explode but didn't. AC evaporator tends to fail and costs a grand to fix. This car lets in an amazing about of heat in the summer, and I live in the northeast. This car is relatively cheap to buy now, but I would only recommend it to residents of Canada who don't like driving fast and have autobahn-quality roads where they live.

850 Turbo, if you please!!
By bccturbo on 07/25/05 10:26 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Before I ended up staying at home with the kids, I'd been driving a 94 300zx every day. Wow this was a change, but not in a bad way. Performance is on par with a Taurus SHO without the lack of reliability. Not to mention the interior is of MUCH higher quality. I paid right at 4k for this vehicle from a dealer. Why so cheap? There was a vacuum line break that they didn't want to investigate. It allowed unmetered air into the intake that caused the MIL to activate and it would not pass emissions. Found the leak during a test drive and gambled that it would fix the problem. Bought it, fixed the leak, passed with flying colors and the vehicle has not had any problems since.